Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with your baby when your surname is different...

(10 Posts)
LillyTheMinx Tue 16-Aug-11 22:35:05

Hi
I am still with my DP, but we are not married. We were travelling back home on the Eurostar today and to cut a long story short, I was told by border control that if I ever travelled with my DD, without DP I should take her birth certificate with me because our surnames are different. Just wondered if anyone has had problems with this.

Graciescotland Tue 16-Aug-11 22:45:37

My surname is different in my passport (I got a new one just before I got married and I refuse to fork out<tight>) I've had a few queries but only to ask if DS is mine. Only ever at Dutch border control come to think of it. I think the birth certificate thing is advisable rather than enforcable IYSWIM.

TBH I'm sure if they were to run a check then your name/ passport number would be quickly confirmed from her original application.

Sometimes giving people a position of power (border control) can cause them to overstep boundaries...

Knackeredmother Tue 16-Aug-11 22:50:20

I asked a customs officer about this as I'm in the same position. He told me they would never ask for a birth certificate. However, I have heard lots of people advise taking one.

LillyTheMinx Wed 17-Aug-11 07:20:52

Thanks for the feedback. It felt as though he was asserting his authority, but I just thought I would check to see what experience other people had had.

HerdOfTinyElephants Wed 17-Aug-11 07:24:53

I've never had a problem (it may help that DD1 looks like a clone of me while DS keeps up a constant "Mummy... Mummy... Mummy..." monologue), although I have heard of others on here doing so. IIRC Canada in particular tends to do extra checks when one parent is travelling alone with children.

TastyMuffins Wed 17-Aug-11 07:41:28

I've never had a problem. Think it is advised as a precaution in case there is ever a need to check.

EdithWeston Wed 17-Aug-11 07:56:07

I was asked about a DC with a non-matching surname for the first time last year. I think it's becoming more common.

My children are bigger, and a robust answer "of course that's mummy" from a clearly unconcerned child was sufficient. But if your children are not yet talking (either at all, or confidently to strangers), then I would take the extra documentation.

Granard Wed 17-Aug-11 12:48:39

This happened to me recently when I landed at a UK airport. First time ever and my DD is 10. The guy (who looked about 10 himself) asked what relation I was to the child and then asked her if that was correct!

snowwombat Wed 17-Aug-11 21:22:58

I had this at Heathrow last year, travelling with DS (1 year). I travel on a non-EU passport and DS has a British one, as well as different surnames, so I don't know if this made us more 'suspicious' to border control.

I have always travelled with a copy of his birth certificate, and a letter from DH as a precaution and was very pleased to be able to show these. Don't get me started on the whole 'permission' from a parent issue.

Can border control look up the details of a child's parents from their passport? Would make life much simpler.

exexpat Wed 17-Aug-11 21:31:35

I've been asked many times in various countries whether my two DCs are mine: they have their dad's surname, though my surname as a middle name; DH died several years ago so they are always travelling just with me. I now carry their birth certificates as a precaution, but the only time I have actually had to produce them for inspection was on Eurostar returning to the UK - perhaps they are particularly keen on checking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now