Talk

Advanced search

Wanting to do a cycling holiday in France on a budget

(5 Posts)
Orbinator Tue 16-Aug-11 19:36:56

I vividly remember a lovely holiday cycling through flat empty fields as a teen - no main roads just windmills and trees. I have a feeling it was in Dordogne but really am not 100% sure. It always comes back to me as my perfect holiday and I am hoping to re-create it or do something at least similar. We stayed in a châteaux back in early 90's and just hired bikes in the local village. I'm looking to spend around £400 for 7 nights if possible, inc basic flights.

Anyone got any tips/ideas on where to go and stay with an under 1yr old to do this? Am I being naive in thinking I can cycle with an under 1 on a bike? As I mentioned no main roads and nothing to strenuous like mountain biking smile Any help greatly appreciated.

AKMD Tue 16-Aug-11 20:52:12

The best holiday I ever had was cycling through France with my mum one summer. We took the Bike Express instead of flights and cycled along the Rhine (there is a cycle path from Strasbourg that runs along the river almost the whole way to Basel), staying at Youth Hostels along the way. We went for 4 weeks and in total it cost around £2000 (this was in 2002 though!) so it worked out very cheaply.

If you wanted to stay in one place, Bordeaux is quite flat but more holiday lets in a region further north could work out cheaper (and there are still no mountains). Chez Nous is a good place to start for holiday cottages (gites).

Orbinator Wed 17-Aug-11 20:45:02

Thank you so much and sorry for the belated reply! Hands full with a newborn atm!

Will look into both sites - had no idea about bike express - wish I had before I got pregnant now! Will possibly have to wait a few years for that now...

Thanks again for your response smile

AKMD Fri 19-Aug-11 20:34:29

You're welcome. Bike Express has been running for ages so I expect it will still be around when you're ready for it smile

Congratulations on the newborn!

Simonfitz Mon 22-Aug-11 14:07:00

Also try "Breton Bikes" run by a British family in Brittany. We went as two families both with 3 year olds who had a trailer each. They offer camping or B&B options. One of the best holidays we've ever had - probably the best with children. Have to make your own way their but very simple in a car on the auto routes from Caen (toll free). We did the Binic & Back route - all on very quite back roads which are far better than our rural roads. A bit undulating but what goes up must come down - makes it more interesting than canal towpaths. Even if you don't book with them they have a plethora of tips for cycling with kids. Enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now