Talk

Advanced search

can you take milk through the airport security plus any other travel tips apprecated

(8 Posts)
elt37 Tue 16-Aug-11 09:55:51

Hi I have the chance to go away to Barbados paid for by my lovely brother!
I am taking my 3 month daughter on the flight with Virgin, Does anyone have any tips plus are you are allowed to take milk through the airport security ? thanks
xx

Gemjar Tue 16-Aug-11 10:00:47

I would be interested in tips myself as we are taking our 2 DS's (3 yrs and 9 months) to Menorca in a couple of weeks.

I can however tell you that you can indeed take milk through security, however they will more than likely ask you to drink some of it so be prepared for that! DH's face was a picture when we took DS1 to Italy and he was asked to taste his milk.

WalterFlipschicks Tue 16-Aug-11 10:05:42

When ds1 was 2 they told me you could take drinks through for a child under 2, i had a half drunk 2 ltr bottle of water and a half empty bottle of cordial.
This was at Pisa airport (one english and one italian security guard) and tbh i was fairly surprised as someone wamting to smuggle liquid explosives would just need a baby as an accessory! shock
So how common that rule is i dont know?
They didnt make us taste it... Although i have heard they do that.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 16-Aug-11 10:09:51

Yes you can take drinks / milk through for a baby (under 2 I think), but they'll ask you to take a sip of the liquid.

Make sure you book a seat with a bassinet and then you've not got to hold your dd the entire flight, she can sleep better too. Also feed her on take off and landing so that her ears don't get a pressure build up and hurt.

Cyclebump Tue 16-Aug-11 10:11:42

My friend had to taste her breast milk when she took it. It's probably best to google the airport for it's security details and ring if anything is unclear.

Shanghaidiva Tue 16-Aug-11 10:13:01

Taking drinks is fine, but you normally have to taste it. Tips - ears may be painful due to pressure so something to suck (dummy) can be a life saver. I think you can book a bassinet for the flight (only did short haul when mine were that age), but can be a pita as have to remove baby from bassinet during turbulance.
what a lovely brother you have!

yousankmybattleship Tue 16-Aug-11 10:15:19

If you are taking formula I think you can order ahead to collect through security. Airports may differ though so probably best to give them a ring.

wigglesrock Tue 16-Aug-11 14:54:54

I brought bottles through in June and had to taste them - you can pre-order ready made formula from Boots and pick it up airside, if the Boots is open! The 100ml guide is waived for babies bottles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now