Talk

Advanced search

What to do with left over euros?

(12 Posts)
mycatoscar Mon 15-Aug-11 07:57:46

What's best to do?
1. Pay into bank as euros
2. take back to thomAs cook to exchange and then pay into bank.

It's about €220 if that makes a difference

Figgygirl Mon 15-Aug-11 13:36:56

Are you planning any future trips or holidays to countries that use euros? We always keep ours for next time. Better than losing with exchange rates every time.
You can only pay in euros into a bank if you have a euro account, otherwise they will change it to sterling using the days rate, and credit your account or give you the cash.

mycatoscar Mon 15-Aug-11 14:16:54

We may gp back to France next year and if it was only €50 I would just keep them but given the amount it would pay nicely for my dd's birthday which is coming up. I will look into exchange rates I think but thanks for info

Erebus Mon 15-Aug-11 18:22:47

The way the Euro's going they might make nice papier mache

But that' snot helpful, is it?!

grin

mycatoscar Mon 15-Aug-11 19:06:46

lol not very ... grin

cat64 Mon 15-Aug-11 19:24:22

Message withdrawn

Shitter Mon 15-Aug-11 19:30:13

I just put them in a pot for next year. But that is quite alot of money and I can see you have something you would rather spend it on. Can you go back to the place you got them from, as some do straight forward re-exchanges I believe?

Erebus Mon 15-Aug-11 20:25:05

Ask your mates if anyone's going to Europe. Do a straight exchange with them using 'today's' rate. You get sterling, they get commission free Euros. They'd surely spend E220 in say a week!

Figgygirl Tue 16-Aug-11 03:32:35

We always get £500 or more euros at a time from Co-Operative Travel as they give a preferential rate for this amount, so you get more euros for your money.
Beats the banks hands down, even though my DH works for one!
Most places do not charge commission now.
May be worth asking the Post Office what their rate for changing euros to Sterling is. Agree you should shop around for the best rate ( on the same day ) to compare.

ElbowFan Tue 16-Aug-11 12:41:57

I have always found the Post Office rates to be good, they do not charge commission but the rate is not far off that offered by the banks - who DO charge commission as % or minimum charge.
Plus they'll change your 'leftover' money back at a fair rate too.
(Sound like I should get commission myself!)

Lizcat Tue 16-Aug-11 14:07:55

I was going to suggest the post office too, you just need to keep your receipt to sell them back.

cat64 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:47:55

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now