Advanced search

Flying with DS - Birth Certificate needed?

(5 Posts)
OffTheScale Sun 14-Aug-11 17:13:33


I'm going on holiday with my 2yo DS to Tenerife in November. DS has my XPs surname, not mine. I've been told that as DS and I have different surnames on our passports, I will need to travel with a copy of his birth certificate to prove that I am his mother.

Can anyone confirm whether this is correct?


EdithWeston Sun 14-Aug-11 17:23:23

In theory it's not a requirement - but in practice it's being asked for more and more (happened to me for the first time last year). So I'd say yes, it's worth doing to avoid stress and embuggeration each time you cross a border until your children are big enough to answer 'Of course that's Mummy!'.

OffTheScale Sun 14-Aug-11 17:33:29

Thanks, I was thinking I should take it anyway to be on the safe side. I've travelled with DS before and not been asked for it and to be honest I'd never even heard of needing it until it was mentioned to me the other day.

fraktious Sun 14-Aug-11 17:49:19

I would take it and a letter from your XP authorising your DS to leave the country with you.

There was a Q&A with someone from the FCO about this a while ago.

kittensliveupstairs Mon 15-Aug-11 09:10:00

Blimey, I have a different surname to DD and the only time we've had problems was when me and DD drove to Dubai and got stopped at the border.
the men on the border post phoned DH and he jokingly said he hadn't given permission for me to take DD away angry. She was only about 5 months old so couldn't say I was her mum. It took about two hours in the boiling sun before that was resolved.
I would do like fraktious says, take a letter from your exP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: