Talk

Advanced search

help - first time travel with 4 month old - can't figure out how things work!

(9 Posts)
leannac Sat 13-Aug-11 07:22:07

Hi there

I'm just about to travel to Lisbon with my 4 month old daughter but can't figure out anywhere on the BA website whether I can take my icandy peach pram with me or whether you can only take foldable mclaren style strollers? Also, the website says can only take 100ml of liquid on the plane but how can I feed my baby if I do this? She's on formula now so any suggestions on how to feed would be gratefully received!

Finally, we're planning on taking our car seat with us on the plane as I'd prefer to have my own car seat in Portugal plus it's £50 to rent a car seat and our Maxicosi car seat only cost £90 to buy! Is this madness and will we regret it?

Also, whilst travelling before I've noticed babies crying lots when taking off and have heard something about it hurting their ears? Any tips on how I can stop this happening to my gorgeous girl?

Sorry about the long list of questions - I'm pretty clueless about travelling with her and want to get all the preparations right so that we enjoy the trip rather than it be incredibly stressful!!

Leanna

iliketea Sat 13-Aug-11 11:14:04

My experiences.

For formula, you can take powder in your suitcase for however long you will be there if you can't buy the same formula wherever you're going. For travelling, you are allowed to take baby bottles with water, which you will have to taste going through security and take separate formula powder to add as needed. another possibility is to buy ready made formula in the boots on the otherside of security (you could phone the chemist on the departure gate side of the airport and pre-order so there is enough for your dd).

As for the buggy, we have only ever had a folding one, but when we have checked in, the staff normally ask if the buggy has one or 2 parts as they will put luggage labels on each individual part- you can normally take the buggy all the way through to the departure gate, and it varies when you arrive as to whether the buggy is available as you leave the plane or whether it comes to the carousel with all the other luggage. To be honest, when dd was that little, I found it easier to check in her buggy and carry her through the airport in a sling (because I wasn't sure how to hold her and fold the buggy at gate prior to boarding!)

Does your dd have a dummy? I found that helped a lot with take off and landing (you could also try to feed her then, but I was told be air steward that I couldn't feed her during take off or landing).

And above all, don't worry too.much if she cries - it's what babies do whether other people like it or not! And most people I've encountered on planes seem to express sympathy rather than grumble about a baby crying. and if all else fails, it's only a couple of hours and you'll be able to enjoy your holiday!

leannac Sun 14-Aug-11 06:54:29

Thank you so much for this. I would far prefer to take my icandy stroller on hols rather than borrowing a foldable stroller as I feel safer using equipment I know has worked for us for the past 4 months!

Thanks for the tip re: formula too. That's a great idea to buy some ready made formula the other side of security.

Hope the travel is incident free and then we can have a good hol!

wigglesrock Mon 15-Aug-11 21:51:14

I took my 4 month old away in June, I brought some bottles all ready made up through security, just had to taste them. Also picked up some ready made formula in Boots air-side. The 100ml liquid rule was waived for bottles for babies at my airport.

I was able to feed my dd during take off and landing as did everyone else with small babies on the plane. To be honest she slept during take off and landing grin. How are you sterilising the bottles on holiday? I used the microwave steriliser bags - they were fab.

My buggy folds so I had no bother with that.

ILoveDolly Mon 15-Aug-11 22:00:28

IME they waive the 100ml rule for any drinks cups/bottles that clearly are in possession of little people (tho' they do ask them to drink from them at security, which my 18mo slightly ruined by refusing to!)
This time we were allowed to take the buggy right up to the plane door, but then had to pick it up at the carousel so I would have a sling etc handy anyway for a 4mo.
Happy Trip! x

leannac Tue 16-Aug-11 08:45:54

Thank you! I'll pack the sling near the top of my suitcase just in case I have to check the pram in. Did you just let the pram get checked as it was folded or did you try wrap it in bubble wrap or something else to try protect it?

wigglesrock Tue 16-Aug-11 17:53:09

leannac meant to say just get your nappies/wipes etc over there but bring swim nappies - they are much more expensive. I've had my dds at various ages in Spain and Portugal and had brilliant time. Enjoy yourselves.

elsieG Wed 17-Aug-11 22:36:07

Ditto everyone else for milk. Also SMA have just started doing sachets of milk powder (stupidly expensive as with all things SMA) but pre-measured and sealed so convenient.

Boots definitely do a reserve and collect service for formula. We've always fed our daughters on take off and landing and have never been told we can't (our eldest is 3 and started travelling at 6 mths). Also I used to work for an airline and most airlines carry capsules of Karvol. We used to mix a capsule with a bit of hot water in a cup and put a tissue in it (to soak up the hot water) then you just let your baby/child inhale. Apparently it helps shrink all the mucus in the sinuses so that ears don't hurt as much. I always carry a couple of capsules of Karvol and a couple of sachets of Calpol in a zip-lock just in case.

Tina2003 Fri 19-Aug-11 15:21:11

I can tell you from personal experience that you can take your buggy up to gate at Heathrow or Gatwick. Problem will be when you are returning back home, as they do not bring up the buggies to aircraft door. So if you child is asleep or can't walk for a long distance, be prepared to carry them all the way to baggage claim area. For ear pain, have a ready made bottle and have the baby drink while taking off, this will help for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now