Talk

Advanced search

Off to the Isle of Wight tomorrow, anything a real must see??

(27 Posts)
mynaughtylittlesister Fri 12-Aug-11 20:42:14

That's about it really.

Taking 2DD's one is almost 14 and the other is 11.

Thanks

frankie3 Fri 12-Aug-11 20:45:23

The needles and needles battery. And blackgang chine.

Have a great time!

Dilligaf81 Fri 12-Aug-11 20:46:05

We went in June and it was lovely, Id say avoid going to the Needles park.
The Needles themselves are ok and there is a lovely castal wlak but the park around it with the cable car is a massive rip off and makes you bleed miney.
Sandown beach was lovely.
Sorry not mcuh advice as my DC are 6,5,4, and 1 so into different things to your DC.

Have a great time.

Dilligaf81 Fri 12-Aug-11 20:46:36

I also lved blackgang but wouldnt a 14 and 11 yr old be a bit old ?

mynaughtylittlesister Fri 12-Aug-11 20:48:05

We were thinking of going to Blackgang Chine. Also thought about the Robin hood place - Is it any good?

mynaughtylittlesister Fri 12-Aug-11 20:48:40

Not sure! Youngest DD loves parks

CareyHunt Fri 12-Aug-11 20:54:28

I live on the Isle of Wight! It's lovely.

Gorgeous beaches along the Military road on the South side of the Island...esp.Compton chine and Brook chine (usually local's beaches rather than tourist beaches) Lovely and sandy, good for swimming, great fossils, great for bbq's/ fires in evening.

Blackgang Chine is a bit of a 'must do'. It's a bit odd and v. cheesy but a uniquely I.O.W experience.

Cowes town is nice for a mooch around shops. Ryde sea front has bowling and ice skating, and another good beach (more amusementy/ less wild than others)

Ventnor sea front has nice pubs etc for lunch/ dinner...the town has some good shops and is a bit of a celeb hang out. you can walk along to the botanic Gardens and Steephill Cove (great little fish restaurant...need to book though) Rumours abound of visits to ventnor/ house shopping from R-Patz, Johnny Depp/ Kate Moss/ Russell Brand/ Jude Law Peter Andre

Have a great time!

CareyHunt Fri 12-Aug-11 20:55:42

Robin HILL?

It's o.k, but poss. a bit sedate for fast living city kids!

mynaughtylittlesister Fri 12-Aug-11 20:57:02

Thanks Carey, whats the age range for Blackgang Chine?

mynaughtylittlesister Fri 12-Aug-11 20:58:57

Oops! Robin Hill!! I would have spent many hrs looking for Robinhood park! blush

CareyHunt Fri 12-Aug-11 21:01:32

The rides are mainly for little ones, but there is a big water slide and a roller coaster which my 13 year old still loves ( he has had a bit of a sheltered I.O.W. existence!) There's an exhibition about the cliff falls etc which is more interesting than it sounds!

I think it is ok for older kids if they are not expecting great rides..it is just in a really interesting place ( on the cliff edge) and has some fun stuff to look at. I take my 3 at least twice every summer (4, 10 and 13) On Wednesday nights they have a big firework party there too.

CareyHunt Fri 12-Aug-11 21:02:43

Robin hill probably has better rides for older ones, but don't expect Alton Towers! I think you can get a 2 park ticket which gets you into both.

Dilligaf81 Fri 12-Aug-11 21:22:00

tHE JOINT TICKET WAS GOOD VALUE AND YOU CAN GO BACK AS MANY TIMES AS YOU LIKE FOR 7 DAYS.

Dilligaf81 Fri 12-Aug-11 21:22:26

Sorry I wasnt screaming at you just trying to do too many things and not concentrating.

simpson Fri 12-Aug-11 21:25:35

Oh am gatecrashing as we are going on sat smile

careyhunt - we are staying in steephill cove in the house that has the fish restaurant.

CareyHunt Fri 12-Aug-11 21:26:51

oooh, say hello to Mark and Vanessa!

simpson Fri 12-Aug-11 21:29:23

lol will do!!

Spoke to them on the phone the other day (Vanessa) to make sure booking was ok.

We stayed there last yr too.

Its a fab place!!! Kids love it (5 & 3) as its right on the beach.

Am looking forward to a crab pasty too from the takeaway place a bit further down smile

CareyHunt Fri 12-Aug-11 21:31:16

It''s gorgeous isn't it!

Have a lovely holiday, hope the weather is good for you! smile

mynaughtylittlesister Fri 12-Aug-11 21:31:31

We are staying in Thorness Bay.

Looking forward to it smile

simpson Fri 12-Aug-11 21:33:33

we are staying in another house for our first wk (near Ventor) which is bigger, then steephill cove for 2nd wk.

We were lucky with weather last yr, lets hope this year is the same grin

CareyHunt Fri 12-Aug-11 21:35:42

Thorness is lovely too.

I will spend the next week or two dropping 'fanjoes' into any conversation I have with a tourist in an attempt to out MNers!

Could you all wear Wolef fleeces or something so I can spot you?

simpson Fri 12-Aug-11 21:36:52

PMSL at "fanjoes" grin

We need car bumper stickers or something!!! grin

We went last week, Robin Hill was good, has 3 rides suitable for older DCs, a toboggan run, swinging galleon and a sort of indoor roller coaster. Nice walks, falconry, space to picnic and play football.

Alum Bay chairlift is great, but the rest of it is pretty dire and we had to queue for half an hour to get into the car park.

A good find for us was Puckpool Park near Seaview, play area, crazy golf, tennis courts, nice cafe which stays open into the evening all built into an old fortification. Maybe better for younger children though.

ChippyMinton Fri 12-Aug-11 21:45:51

If you have a GPS/smartphone/satnav, try geocaching. details here.

bruffin Fri 12-Aug-11 21:48:39

Took dcs 13 and 15 in may
We liked the bird of prey centre at appleduncombe and Godshill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now