Talk

Advanced search

Do you need a car when visting Torquay?

(2 Posts)
Leah4 Thu 11-Aug-11 12:28:10

I have just booked a short break in Torquay, for the end of August. I may not be able to use car during that time. I will be travelling with my two children aged 5 and 10, and staying in a self catering apartment. I will be in the centre of Torquay, and hope to visit the model village, beach, and go for a steam train ride.

Are buses and trains good in Torquay, and are the above places easy to get to without a car? Is parking a problem in the centre? Or should I hire a car?
Thanks!

thesmiths88 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:37:17

Hi - I don't live in Torquay but my parents do. The beach is close by (the main beach between Torquay and Paignton I think it is) and you can walk to that along the promenade. I'm afraid I don't know about the other two re transport but the model village I think is too far to walk (and up a hill). There do seem to be a lot of buses around but if it was me I'd call up the places you want to go to and ask about transport as they should know. From what I can gather the steam railway is further round the bay and you might be able to get to that from Torquay sea front using a boat, but I think you should be able to get to it by bus as well.

Trains - Torquay and Torre station are on a branch line and you would have to walk to them (Torquay station is opposite the main beach above) and go to probably Newton Abbott then back out again i.e. to Paignton so not sure that would be ideal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now