Talk

Advanced search

Traveling by car from midlands to Scotland

(14 Posts)
caspered Tue 09-Aug-11 08:24:26

I'm traveling on Monday from midlands to Scotland up the m6 etc, dies anyone know anywhere nice to stop, say, Cumbria area or beyond. Wanted somewhere to aim for to stretch legs/run around etc rather than just the motorway service stations. Quite happy to cone off motorway for a few miles!! Handy hints more than welcome!! Two children 4 & 6!! grin

KateMiddletonsEyebrows Tue 09-Aug-11 08:27:14

Tebay service station is FANTASTIC. Wouldn't go anywhere else. It has a great restaurant, farm shop, play areas, good baby changing facilities. It's also independently run.
http://www.westmorland.com/tebay

Was just about to mention Tebay too. It really is a cut above any other service station you will ever visit.

caspered Tue 09-Aug-11 08:44:17

Oooo fabulous!! Thanks I will have a look online, at least it will give us somewhere to aim for!! Thanks smile

hairypotter Tue 09-Aug-11 08:47:31

Another vote for Tebay, we always stop there. So much nicer than the usual service stations. Great farm shop as well

TracyK Tue 09-Aug-11 08:49:29

Theres a really lovely working farm/shop/cafe near Preston I think - the organic, home made cafe has a massive glass window overlooking where the cows get milked a couple of times a day. Lovely shop selling gifts, clothes, artisan food etc. Maybe a 6 or 7 min drive off the M6. Google the description and see if comes up - if I find it later I'll post back. It was lovely.
Tebay is good too - but you might end up spending £££ as the shop there is good too!

BertieBotts Tue 09-Aug-11 08:53:12

We always used to stop overnight in the lake district, at a youth hostel - some have family rooms which you can book out just for yourself.

(grin at the idea of coning off the motorway for a few miles so you can stretch your legs!)

Talking of Preston area (might be a bit soon for a stop for you?) Brockholes is great and literally just off the M6.

mistlethrush Tue 09-Aug-11 09:03:39

We've stopped at Acorn Bank, National Trust - just the other side of Penrith. They have red squirrels!

TracyK Tue 09-Aug-11 16:00:38

Here it is www.lowsizerghbarn.co.uk/find-us.aspx I think I mught stop off on my journey from Glasgow to Manchester tomorrow.

caspered Wed 10-Aug-11 19:23:41

Thanks for all these suggestions, going to hit google and work out route tonight

GlaikitFizzog Wed 10-Aug-11 19:26:22

Tebay all the way! They have a duck pond! And fab homebakes!!

Geordieminx Wed 10-Aug-11 20:06:20

If it's a nice day and you are wanting to kill a few hours Walby farm is fab for kids, indoor soft play and outdoor farm.

winefairy Tue 16-Aug-11 13:14:57

Tebay, without a doubt. Has a really nice new soft play too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now