Talk

Advanced search

Too many holidays?

(14 Posts)
cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 22:32:18

Is it possible? how many is too many?

In the last 12 months we've been on a number of bargain breaks... a week in a pre-pitched tent in the New Forest in Aug, a week in a static caravan in S France in Sept, 4 nights in a static caravan in Britanny at Whitsun, a Daily Mail weekend at Camber Sands in July and we're off to S France again next week. In October, we've got 4 nights near Paris booked with 40% 2nd holiday discount and eurotunnel courtesy of Tesco. To my mind, these were all very reasonable i.e max £30 ppn including travel and put together would add up to less than return flights to the US but I do wonder whether I have some kind of OCD when it comes to breaks. I love researching and planning and am almost disappointed when I finally book although we always enjoy getting away.

For next year, I want to buy a tent because although they've been bargains, I want to start doing some more long term saving so need to find a way to keep getting away but for less. Or do I just need to stop getting away so much?

Would really appreciate honest opinions.

Lilyloo Sun 07-Aug-11 22:33:59

I would go away all the time. Love getting away from home , anywhere.
Your list sounds good to me if you can afford it.

cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 22:49:46

I think that's where I'm coming from... we can afford it in that they are all paid for upfront i.e. not on credit cards and we're not going without essentials. We don't have many other luxuries i.e. big TV, new clothes, nice stuff for the house (we are largely clothed and furnished by ebay!) but it is funded by money we could be saving. We certainly don't have the recommended 6 month's household income banked for emergencies for instance.

kittensliveupstairs Mon 08-Aug-11 08:23:54

I don't think it sounds too much TBH. When we lived in Bangkok, we went to Phuket or Krabi for the weekend at least twice a month. We also used half terms and long weekends for trips to Vietnam and Cambodia, Laos etc.
If you are enjoying it and can afford it, do it.

cheerup Mon 08-Aug-11 09:14:42

Thank you both - some of my friends and my dh are making me feel like I've got some kind of condition!

Kittens your breaks in Thailand sound fabulous. I went to Thailand nearly 20 years ago and loved Ko Phan-gan (sp?) although Bangcock was a bit overwhelming for me as a 19 year old. If I can ever save enough, I would love to go back when my DDs are older!

onelily Mon 08-Aug-11 10:18:55

Well, i agree Lilyloo. i totally love holidays! Last month my husband took me to spain. A road trip. I was totally taken aback.
Since, we dint take our daughter to spain, so have booked a trip to florida with her.Since real good bargain offers from travel sites.
SO there are no counting for good times. U shd spend them as they come!

noyouhavehadawee Mon 08-Aug-11 10:22:25

life is for living.... smile

Enjoy your holidays!

cheerup Mon 08-Aug-11 10:30:22

Bangcock - oo er blush!!

MindtheGappp Mon 08-Aug-11 10:32:15

Go while you can. It gets harder when your children are in school.

NewlyConvertedFordLover Mon 08-Aug-11 10:32:27

Lucky old you, wish we could get away more. We can never afford a week's holiday anywhere decent (or anywhere, even in the UK!) but I do try and book us a 3/4 day break once a year. Like you, we don't use credit, and the money I spend on a short break would probably be better placed in savings.

But I feel so happy when planning and looking forward to a break away smile

kittensliveupstairs Mon 08-Aug-11 11:46:06

grin yes Bangcock indeed.
IMO, it does you the power of good being away. If only I can get the second mortgage on the house.........................grin

myron Mon 08-Aug-11 21:55:53

If you put this in AIBU, you might get more varied responses. If you are happy with your choices, then you don't need other people's opinions! I, too like my holidays BUT I wouldn't compromise our family's financial safety net on luxuries and I would classify holidays however modest to be luxuries. I really think that the 'live for today' mantra is somewhat coming to roost at the moment so I am going against the majority here and say that I think that you need to cut back on your expenditure on holidays and boost your savings more.

Merlotmonster Tue 09-Aug-11 21:50:33

theres no such thing as too many holidays!!

onelily Wed 10-Aug-11 12:32:04

hey check out hotel.com and u can save 56% on all hotel bookings. as soon as i read it i came running to let you knw. i am sure it can help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now