Talk

Advanced search

Sheesh - is that really what it costs to fly to US?

(11 Posts)
partystress Sun 07-Aug-11 22:04:08

Have finally persuaded DH to consider a house exchange so that next summer we could look at hols slightly further afield than the French rut we have got stuck in, and which is no longer even cheap.

Found a fab potential swap on W Coast of US. Don't seem to be able to get fares for next Aug, but just looking at what it would cost to go in next week or 2, would be c£10k for us plus 2DCs shock.

Advice please on how to get a quote for a year in advance and how to get a better deal. Not an airline snob, but would want direct flights and child friendly as will be the DCs' (7 and 11) first experience of flying. TIA

bellavita Sun 07-Aug-11 22:07:09

£10k shock

We are going to Hawaii on Sat - for of us and 2 DC (one being an adult fare) and it isn only costing £3800.

You cannot book flights only to the US more than 335 days I think it is in advance - well you cannot with Virgin anyway.

bellavita Sun 07-Aug-11 22:08:50

Four of us altogether I should say

partystress Sun 07-Aug-11 22:11:02

ooh, that sounds closer to being possible - thank you. is that 5 adult fares plus a child then bella? I could hang on to 335 days without getting stressed about not having a holiday (do love the anticipation!), but might lose the exchange partner...

partystress Sun 07-Aug-11 22:12:57

ah, x-posted. still quite pricey sad. Hope you have a great hol though - Hawaii looks beautiful

LynetteScavo Sun 07-Aug-11 22:13:51

I just looked, and you could fly with virgin for a couple of weeks at the end of this month for jsut over 4K...but if you book next jan/feb it will only cost about £1600.

TrillianAstra Sun 07-Aug-11 22:14:03

The 10k is probably because it is so soon. Cheap flights require booking ahead. IME that is not what is really costs to fly to the US.

We flew to the West Coast in late spring for around £500/person.

IlanaK Sun 07-Aug-11 22:14:23

We are flying in December to Florida on Virgin for about £2500. That is for two adults and three children. We booked as soon as the flights were released so very far in advance. I imagine you were quoted so much as only expensive seats would've left for flights leaving in the next few weeks.

bellavita Sun 07-Aug-11 22:14:35

No sorry, me, DH, DS1 (14) and DS2 (11) - so 3 adult fares and one child.

Generally after 12 years of age, the fare goes to an adult price.

smileyhappymummy Mon 08-Aug-11 21:42:27

Keep looking, you should certainly be able to find cheaper than that! I found direct return flights from Manchester to Vancouver this summer for £400 per adult.... you probably need to wait a month or two till fares are released.

mumofsussex Tue 09-Aug-11 20:43:57

I have to say flights to the USA are getting very expensive. We have a house out there but not been since last October as flights so expensive. We wanted to go Christmas or Easter but flights would have been around 4k for 4 of us which is daft. I think it is best to book as far in advance as possible as prices do go up nearer to departure date. Think with most airlines you can book 11 months in advance

Very envy of Hawaii

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now