Talk

Advanced search

Family holiday destination for little ones?

(7 Posts)
iknowanoldlady Thu 04-Aug-11 12:14:26

Hoping to have first holiday abroad in a good while next year. DS will be nearly 3 and baby (not yet arrived) will be about6/7 months. Would like to go in May to avoid Scottish school holidays (only time wil be able to do this as am a teacher but will still be on mat leave) and go somewhere where we can enjoy some sunshine, but which isn't toooooo hot. Any recommendations? Budget is unfortunately an issue, about £1500 would be an absolute max. Thanks.

ContinentalKat Thu 04-Aug-11 12:33:04

Our first choice is always Cyprus: civilised western world, speaks English, not too far away. Took 1 and later 2 kids and always had a good time. May should be nice and warm, but not hot. If you're going outside of school holidays your budget might be alright.

Lots of people I know like going to Turkey, cheap, cheerful & child friendly. Not for me, though, as I don't speak the language.

Ever since having dc's my choice of holiday destinations has narrowed considerably sad!

RickGhastley Thu 04-Aug-11 12:38:19

We have had lovely late spring holidays in Cyprus, southern Spain and Sardinia. The weather has been perfect in all 3! The cheapest one was Spain as we got a low cost flight, appartment and the cost of living was lower than Cyprus and Sardinia.

What are you looking for- beach? Pool? Hotel? Self Catering? Resort? Kids club?

iknowanoldlady Thu 04-Aug-11 14:56:21

Hadn't thought of Cyprus, will look into it. Looking for pool rather than beach, although beach nearby would be a bonus. Like the idea of a hotel but only if very kid friendly e.g. kids early tea times etc. Kids club not a must though, as our two probably too young anyway. We've always done self catering in UK and reckon it's easier but think a hotel abroad could be a go-er. Like idea of all inclusive, so we know our budget, and could put up with only one restaurant etc if needs be for a week. Holidays to go out to a different place each night can come when they are older?!

grazzenger Thu 04-Aug-11 15:29:22

the south of france is very nice in may. perfect temperature and not crammed with holidaymakers at that point. as you mention scottish school holidays, there are direct easyjet flights to nice from edinburgh and they are VERY good about extras like buggies, carseats, etc. we took both children plus 7!! checked in items, for the price of 2 checked cases. ryanair will stiff you for every item and treat you like dirt to boot.

iknowanoldlady Thu 04-Aug-11 16:27:44

What did you do accommodation wise grazzenger? I remember brilliant French holidays as a kid but we always used to do canvas holidays and although I would love to do that when they are a bit older, I am not sure I am ready for a week's camping with a 7 month old...

wigglesrock Thu 04-Aug-11 21:04:05

Ibiza is lovely in May, I have been a few times, went this year with 6, 3 year old and 4 month old. We have went all inclusive and self catering. The all inclusive is handy if you want early dinners, different eating times etc. We are mainly pool based, my dds don't like sand and suncream grin Most of them will have a small playground you can use, even if you don't use the kids clubs (they are usually for over 3s).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now