Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to US with 11 month old

(4 Posts)
LCRLCR Tue 02-Aug-11 18:34:31

Hi all - DD and I are visiting my brother in Dallas, Texas next week for 10 days and I wondered if anyone had advice of visiting the US with a baby.

DD's surname and my surname are different on our passports - will that be a problem with US immigration? I just haven't yet got a new passport with my married name. I have her ESTA and travel insurance - do I need anything else?

Not looking forward to the 10 hour flight I have to say.....

LCRLCR Wed 03-Aug-11 13:18:54

Anyone?

laraeo Thu 04-Aug-11 01:47:39

Having different surnames might cause extra discussion with you at immigration. I'm assuming you have your ESTA done too - I'm American so I'm not 100% sure how that works but I'm fairly confident each traveller needs it.

Make sure the names on your tickets match the names on your passports.

I would have some sort of document/letter - notarized, perhaps - from your DH saying you have permission to take DD out of the country. In all likelihood you won't need it, but better safe than sorry when it comes to immigration. I might also bring a copy of your marriage license to explain the different surnames. Again, better safe than sorry because the last thing you want to deal with after a lengthy flight is an immigration hassle.

I did a 10 hour flight with DS when he was 10 months. He did pretty well and is now the accomplished traveller. Just have a few new little things (we had a new touch and feel squishy book and crazy toy) and some snacks for the flight. I was still breastfeeding so did that a fair bit. DS didn't sleep - too much going on - but didn't fuss too much either. I way overpacked on nappies and extra clothes but rather too much than too little on those items.

Enjoy your trip to Big D, little a, double l, a, s!

MindtheGappp Fri 05-Aug-11 13:35:41

Take your birth certificates, marriage certificate and a letter from your DH giving his permission for your DD to travel without him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now