Talk

Advanced search

Financial holiday etiquette!

(9 Posts)
ChocolateYogi Mon 01-Aug-11 12:12:43

We've invited a friend of my daughter's to join us on holiday this year. We didn't talk about money (not knowing what the etiquette was!) but I wonder if I should expect a small financial contribution from her family towards the hol? Obviously, I can't ask - too embarassing - but wondered what other parents would do? Thanks.

Sarsaparilllla Mon 01-Aug-11 12:14:32

Course you should, I assume it'll cost you extra to take her? What type of holiday is it? You'll need some money for food, whatever the additional cost for an extra bed is, just work it out and say the cost is £x, they can't expect you to take her for free, surely?

ChocolateYogi Mon 01-Aug-11 12:15:52

Well, it's camping for a week. I guess I wouldn't mind a contribution of fifty quid or so; I'm just embarassed about asking...

mumto2andnomore Mon 01-Aug-11 12:16:14

If its self catering in this country I wouldnt charge for accomodation as it wouldnt be any extra. I would ask for money towards food,days out etc.

mollymole Mon 01-Aug-11 12:19:10

you invited them so i would not expect a contribution (nice, if they offer but you cannot assume they would) - i would expect them to provide pocket money for the child

chopchopbusybusy Mon 01-Aug-11 12:28:39

DD went camping with another family. I asked if they would like a contribution and they said no. I then asked if I could provide any food and again they said no. In the end I gave the mum an envelope with £50 in it and told her to put it towards a meal out - DD knew they were planning eating out at least once. She did use some of the money for DDs dinner out, admission to various things and then she gave me about half back.
It would have been better to mention a contribution when you invited her. I wouldn't ask now - just have to hope they offer.

CaptainNancy Mon 01-Aug-11 13:24:31

Tbh, if I'd invited them, I wouldn't expect any kind of contribution, though I would want them to bring a little pocket money for souvenirs etc.

foxinsocks Mon 01-Aug-11 13:29:16

we've had a few of dd's and ds's friends on holiday and we have never asked for a contribution. Tbh, if you wanted one, you needed to ask when you invited them. The kids came with a little bit of money for buying gifts at the end of the holiday which is what I expected.

we have also had friends invite dd or ds out for the day and then at the end of the day asked for the ticket price of wherever they went hmm. Needless to say, I stopped saying yes to those people when they asked mine out. Either be upfront about it or don't expect anything!

(fwiw, when we take children out for the day, I don't ask for a contribution!).

ChocolateYogi Mon 01-Aug-11 16:47:40

Hi and thanks for all your comments.
Foxinsocks has kind of hit it on the head - I've never asked for a contribution if I've taken a child out for the day, it's been our treat if we've extended an invitation, but they have asked for money if they've taken mine, so it's a bit uncomfortable. As it's a holiday, I guess, I'd like a gesture, but will have to wait and see. It's the first time I've done this, so I guess I've learned a good lesson! Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now