Talk

Advanced search

Campsites in France - do they still insist on trunks rather than shorts for men/boys?

(10 Posts)
DaisySteiner Sun 31-Jul-11 14:28:52

It's a number of years since I've been to a French campsite, but seem to remember the above rule. Is this still the case? If so, any suggestions where to buy? Most places seem to just do swim shorts.

TIA

kazkiss Sun 31-Jul-11 20:15:46

Yeah we are planning to go next year and the confirmation info states that no shorts are allowed. If you find anywhere that sells decent budgie smugglers please let me know!

GnomeDePlume Sun 31-Jul-11 21:21:51

In our experience the tight fitting shorts are allowed though it is a good idea to take a pair of speedoes just in case.

From what we have seen most men and boys wear normal swim shorts (with speedoes underneath) round the edge then just whip off the shorts when they actually go in the water. Everyone is in the same boat so nobody really notices.

doubletake Mon 01-Aug-11 17:56:06

Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind this rule? I've never understood it.

GnomeDePlume Mon 01-Aug-11 20:23:07

doubletake there are various theories:

- when I was a lifeguard swim shorts had just come in and an awful lot of people used to try and swim with just normal shorts on and sometimes no pants(!). Many of us didnt feel comfortable asking people to demonstrate that their shorts were adequately lined so a no shorts rule was introduced.

- hygiene, to stop people wearing the shorts they had been wandering around in.

- safety, to stop loose flappy clothes to get trapped in filters, pumps etc.

- a more controversial theory is that this is a closet version of the hijab rule. Essentially men are forced to be exposed to women. Assimilate or keep out is the message.

My view is that it is all of the above!

doubletake Tue 02-Aug-11 07:57:57

I see hmm

IDontDoIroning Tue 02-Aug-11 08:16:39

This is often the case but if you have somewhere in mind check their website or ask here or on uk campsite. The campsite I went to last year has this rule but they said it was for water conservation reasons at their welcome meeting (demo complete with bucket of water and a pair if shorts and a pair of speedos - unoccupied I should add).

LawrieMarlow Tue 02-Aug-11 08:20:09

Whenever I've been to French campsites there has been a variety of male swimwear worn. The official line seems to be speedos but I've never seen anyone not allowed to swim for not wearing them.

ENormaSnob Tue 02-Aug-11 21:55:33

It wasn't enforced when we went to the vendee in 09.

Hopefully it won't be enforced next year either else ds1 who will be 12 will be mortified grin

DaisySteiner Tue 02-Aug-11 21:58:48

Thanks for the replies. Have decided to play safe and have ordered some 'snug' (ie skin tight) trunks for all the boys in the family. They can take their swim shorts too so we've got both depending on what the rules are! Hopefully covered all bases....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now