Talk

Advanced search

Travel insurance to France just for children?

(9 Posts)
TheBolter Sat 30-Jul-11 17:08:09

DH and I are already insured for travel anytime, but the children aren't.

I'm having trouble finding a company that will insure the children only.

Is TI necessary for two weeks in France when we have European Health Insurance Cards anyway? I'm not bothered about insuring the children's belongings (they would go under our insurance anyway) just want accident and illness cover for them...

mousymouse Sat 30-Jul-11 17:18:52

def neccessary. ehic only coveres medical treatment but not transport back if for example the plane needs to remove rows to accomodate a broken leg or a large scale mountain/sea rescue. also personal liability is a vety usefull thing to have when travelling to forrin.
call your insurance to see if your dc can be added.

limitlessclutter Sat 30-Jul-11 17:19:40

I have just faced this very dilemma - more complicated actually as it involved a child under 16 travelling alone. Are you children going by themselves?

Under 16s can't be policy holders. If you use Insure and Go (which I did but other companies probably do the same) you can take out a policy for yourself and your children can be added for free. They seemed very reasonable. They permit the child to be covered even in the adult is not travelling; most other companies I tried would not allow that.

Why can't you add your children as dependents to your existing policy if you are all travelling together?

I have always been advised that you should take out travel insurance as well as EHIC cards, as they will only cover treatment at hospital/doctor and not repatriation, etc.

HTH

limitlessclutter Sat 30-Jul-11 17:20:26

blush at all those typos!

TheBolter Sat 30-Jul-11 17:24:19

OK - thanks for advice. I'll phone my bank who I am insured through and see if I can add them to our policies.

mousymouse Sat 30-Jul-11 17:24:25

limit I just see, we are both very good at typos grin

ivykaty44 Sat 30-Jul-11 17:30:40

post office insurance - I did my two dd's when they went to Spain together to visit grandma without me

limitlessclutter Sat 30-Jul-11 17:32:59

ha! I didn't mean you mousy, of course! Typing in haste in an effort to be useful probably has that effect though (along with having turned one's brain off because it's the weekend).

Good luck Bolter, I hope your bank is helpful. We were really caught out by this as we too have travel insurance as part of our bank account services and the children are covered, but it had not occurred to me that it would be invalid if we weren't with them, so read the small print carefully smile

TheBolter Sat 30-Jul-11 17:42:17

Thanks limitless. We will be with them so I hope it'll be ok...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: