Talk

Advanced search

Long Haul with a 16 month old - will take any advice I can get!

(5 Posts)
MoMusicMum Fri 29-Jul-11 21:39:12

Hello! I'm totally new to mumsnet, so forgive me if I'm too long-winded or doing something wrong! I'm desperate for some advice!

I'm travelling to Pittsburgh on Thursday with my 16 month old DS. Lucky for me he's just hit the tantrum age, so I'm feeling really uneasy about this long journey and keeping him sat on my lap and entertained the whole time. Unfortunately my DH can't come this time, so it's me all on my own!

Basically, I'm prepared with snacks, meds, and DVDs (although I'll take any advice on these as well)! But I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any good toys that he can't scatter all over the place, but will keep him interested for a long time.

ATM he loves lego, and simply playing in a bucket of water, or a patch of dirt - when he's doing these his focus is incredible for long periods - but for obvious reasons I won't be taking any of these on the plane!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Gastonladybird Fri 29-Jul-11 21:48:38

Do you have an iPad/iPhone as these are great for games? Mickey mouse clubhouse, telly tubbies and waybiloo were popular (If you have a lap top and he likes cbeebies you can download shows from
Iplayer - 64 zoo lane. 3rd and bird small potatoes and anything with Justin in like something special).

Also any cheap toys you can store up on (charity shop,pound shop) as a plastic car or something can be brought out to bribe .

Can you feed/ cuddle him down for a nap- dd slept quite a lot.

There is likely to be in flight entertainment and usually something good.

Oh and chocolate buttons/loads of milk. Took dd to hong kong and to south Africa at around this age and was fine .

Graciescotland Fri 29-Jul-11 22:05:47

Turn up at the beginning of checkin. Be nice to the person checking you in, ask if the plane is fully booked and if not can you seated at the back/ quiet place, I've found that if they can they'll leave an empty seat beside you.

My DS is a little younger than yours but he really likes this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000I2OKE2/ref=asc_df_B000I2OKE23795231?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000I2OKE2

Soft and squishy enough to fit in your bag and not so loud as to annoy other passengers.

Also when they're not serving food take a walk with DS up and down the aisles, let him burn off energy and stop say hi to people who smile at him, whatever it takes to get through.

I had a great flight last week, empty seat next to me, pretty girls in the row behind who smiled/ played peekaboo/ tickled his fingers when he reached round (DS never misses the opportunity to charm a pretty girl) and a DS who slept for the main part of the flight, bliss!!

Good luck!

MoMusicMum Sat 30-Jul-11 09:43:52

Thanks so much, I'm feeling a bit better about it now.

One more question - what do you think about these child harness/reins things. I've always hated seeing a kid on a leash but now that I have a toddler I totally understand. Maybe this is a good idea for the airport? Or maybe it will be tantrum inducing?

Gastonladybird Sat 30-Jul-11 10:05:31

You can get little rucksacks that have leads on (little life make them) better than reins that are fiddly and not popular . Also those pull along trunki- although have avoided those as knew would End up carrying it/dd

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: