Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Top tips to stop the kids killing each other in the car on long journey

(9 Posts)
Stylelostinlabour Fri 29-Jul-11 08:35:53

And to save Mum and Dad from killing each other! Come share your top tips to keep the little darlings entertained (8,5 and 2)

What are your top tips/items to take in the car

Fayrazzled Fri 29-Jul-11 08:51:24

Travel at night-time if you can so they sleep.

Stop every few hours for breaks and to stretch legs.

Someone will say DVD player to watch films but we don't have one and manage OK. (Mine are 5 and 3). We have music on we all enjoy though (adult music the children like rather than nursery rhyme CDs).

I find toys in the back usually leads to fights over them.

Fayrazzled Fri 29-Jul-11 08:52:05

Plenty of snacks and drinks you can dole out is another one.

mumto2andnomore Fri 29-Jul-11 10:50:08

stories on CD always keep mine entertained

girlywhirly Fri 29-Jul-11 11:04:33

Stop every couple of hours for loo, stretch legs, drink/food. Also to swap drivers or let driver rest.

If you have a people carrier, you can spread the kids out a bit, and the non driving parent can sit with them for some of the journey.

Play i-spy type games, or car spotting. Sing songs. Alternate radio with music cd's or story cd's. Take drawing books and coloured pencils, they don't melt in a hot car like wax crayons and don't mark everything like felt-tips. Remember to take a sharpener!

GnomeDePlume Fri 29-Jul-11 21:36:09

We have been travelling with DCs in the car for years:

- DVD players for those who will watch
- Audio books
- Take lots of breaks (every 2 hours max)
- SatNav is great for answering the question 'how long....'
- Be positive yourselves and dont argue

I disagree with travelling at night as IME it just makes everybody tired and grumpy.

TennisFan Sat 30-Jul-11 19:24:58

We have done 6 hrs and another 12 to go approx.
We have DVD players and still they fight. Are banning sweets and fizzy drinks.

Hope they sleep soonsmile

Stylelostinlabour Sat 30-Jul-11 20:08:29

Good Luck TennisFan - turn the heating up to get them to sleep...(although can make them car sick!)

mummymeister Sun 31-Jul-11 16:56:28

Audio books and singalong songs for everyone. Best advice from my friend, buy some new to your kids little toys and books from your local charity shop - age appropriate. Wrap in old wrapping paper and newspaper like pass the parcel, 1 per child per hour. have fun unwrapping them then the kids get to play/read them in the car until the next hour. stop every two hours and play a game before you leave together - running around on the bank at the service station seeing who can collect the most different leaves is our favourite. takes time to organise the little toys etc but my kids have never been bored like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now