Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used a prepaid travel credit card thing?

(13 Posts)
Phoenix Thu 28-Jul-11 21:13:57

Which is the best?

They didn't do anything like this last time we went abroad and we think they're a great idea but have no idea which to pick.

Phoenix Fri 29-Jul-11 18:21:04

Bump!

Soups Sat 30-Jul-11 23:06:32

We have Claxton

This site is good smile
www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaidcards/results.aspx?cardEnquiryId=3617774

They're a great idea. The only issue we've ever had is trying to buy petrol in Europe at a pay at pump. Explanation of why on this page. We had more than enough for the petrol but couldn't use it and had to go for my usual debit card. There's no problem using them in the kiosk for petrol.

credit-card-review.toptenreviews.com/prepaid-credit-card/how-prepaid-credit-cards-work.html

whoknowswho Sun 31-Jul-11 08:26:09

We use Fairfx. (www.fairfx.com)
We have a Euro card. Its free to load (although £10 initially to buy but I think at the moment if you find them via the moneysavingexpert website you can get the card for free) and free to use anywhere mastercard is accepted (which is pretty much most places) plus you can withdraw from your balance from ATM's. I think they are a great idea - check out the website.

whoknowswho Sun 31-Jul-11 08:28:03

And another thing... the exchange rate is usually much better too!

mumblechum1 Sun 31-Jul-11 08:29:02

I've just got a Fairfx card, and loaded it up online. It's a $ one, will be using it for the first time next week. You pay a flat fee of $2 for ATMs, nothing for purchases.

Only problem was when dh tried to apply for one too, they wouldn't let him as we have the same address (different email a/c, password, name, dob but it wouldn't work and couldn't get through on the phone to sort it out)

He's a pplied for a Halifax clarity one a couple of weeks ago but it still hasn't come through <<mild panic, we're going on Thurs>>

Phoenix Sun 31-Jul-11 18:22:59

Thank you for your replies.

I had looked at the fairfx one so thanks for the moneysupermarket tip. I think i'll go for that one smile

hairypotter Sun 31-Jul-11 23:06:12

I've got the Thomas cook cash passport one. Got a good exchange rate for American dollars and didn't cost anything to get it. No charge for purchases and flat fee of $2.50 for withdrawals. Got it in local branch in around 10 mins. We used it last year in Florida with no problems and have reloaded it for the next holiday (44 sleeps grin )

Phoenix Mon 01-Aug-11 07:41:15

We booked our holiday at Thomas Cook and we saw the leaflet there and that is the first time we'd ever seen them so we wanted to do a bit of research before just going straight for the first one we saw. The fairfx one is free to get (if you go through moneysupermarket) and only 1.50 for withdrawals smile

CestTout Mon 01-Aug-11 15:43:42

I have two travelex ones (dollar and euro) have been using them for the past two years and they have always been great.

MrsCornish Wed 03-Aug-11 20:20:40

caxton is very good, and great customer service.

frenchfancy Thu 04-Aug-11 16:29:07

Does anyone know if these woàuld work for a hire car? I don't have a credit card, only a debit card, and some hire car companies don't like to take a debit card.

MrsCornish Mon 08-Aug-11 10:04:50

the caxton website says this:

1. Hotels, car hire, bicycle hire and deposits of all kinds
Don’t use your Caxton FX card for the security deposit when you check into a hotel or hire a car. Use any other card for this and only use your Caxton card to settle the bill. When a card is used for a deposit the relevant amount is then blocked on your card. Your Caxton FX card holds a prepaid balance and the block will prevent you from using the funds on your card until they are unblocked. It can take upto 30 days for the block to be removed. Use any other card for the security deposit and your Caxton FX card when the payment transaction is required.

Does that help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now