Talk

Advanced search

Taking car seat on holiday

(5 Posts)
treedelivery Thu 28-Jul-11 18:37:01

We are going on a Thompson cheap and cheerful soon and we are hiring a car to avoid the coach transfer hell. So I wonder if we could just haul dd2s Britax either on to the flight or put it in the hold?

we always hired on previously but could really do with saving the money tbh. Any experiences would be good.

Has anyone ever brought one on the flight?
Has anyone ever put one in the hold without huge payments?

TIA

gregssausageroll Thu 28-Jul-11 19:05:24

First question - is your seat legal in the country you are hiring the car in? If yes, then check it in. It needs to be a specific model to fit an aircraft. Can't remember which one. Not all fit.

treedelivery Thu 28-Jul-11 19:31:53

Hi

yes it should be, we are going to Majorca and Spain simply requires us to have the children in suitable car seats in the back. We have a Britax forward facing generic seat that goes from 9months to 4yrs or so.

Have no clue whatsoever about what sort of plane we are travelling on.

beanandspud Tue 02-Aug-11 22:53:22

We bought a Britax Evolva 1-2-3 for holidays as it was cheaper than hiring a car seat abroad and we have had a lot of use out of it.

We have probably now flown 7 times with a car seat and never had any problems (or charges) checking it in (have never thought about having it in the plane as there seem to be a whole load of different requirements for that).

I bought a car seat travel bag from ebay which protects it a bit and made it easier to carry - you can also stash beach towels etc. in it blush.

treedelivery Wed 03-Aug-11 12:52:19

Ohhh thatnks. I'll seacrh one now. Loving the stealth packing grin An ideal use for kilos of beach towel - protecting the carseat. Likey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now