Talk

Advanced search

First child free holiday for 20 years. Where to go ?

(29 Posts)
harbingerofdoom Wed 27-Jul-11 19:51:24

Really stuck. We used to enjoy travelling but now just want to collapse!
1) Not too hot as I have very fair skin.
2) Don't like 'lively' resorts.
3)Has to be 'something' to do but not always involving water.

Italian lakes? or Slovenia

Any suggestions?

bagelmonkey Thu 28-Jul-11 10:33:12

We loved Croatia, but it gets very hot in the summer. When were you planning to travel?

harbingerofdoom Thu 28-Jul-11 17:13:39

Perhaps the end of August/beginning of September

Geordieminx Thu 28-Jul-11 18:01:51

South of France. Stay in Ville Franche them from there you can get train to Nice/Monacco/ Monte Carlo in under 20 minutes.

It's heavenly

jgbmum Thu 28-Jul-11 18:28:53

We went to Sorrento last September to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. It was beautiful, weather in mid 20s, visited Pompeii, could have done more sightseeing but didn't bother, instead I enjoyed sitting by the pool and chiiling out.
Would highly recommend it.

bagelmonkey Thu 28-Jul-11 18:32:06

Croatia would be lovely. Fantastic food, gorgeous scenery, beaches not really beachy, but the water's great. Island hopping (Hvar is amazing) plus a visit to Dubrovnik.

GreenTeapot Thu 28-Jul-11 18:34:34

We've just got married but small children and tight finances mean no honeymoon for a few years. I'm going to enjoy this thread on a fantasy basis grin

harbingerofdoom Thu 28-Jul-11 18:48:02

We have been to Dubrovnik and it certainly is a great place to visit (and the surrounding area).
I have been to the south of France from Nice to Sete in my student days and DH isn't that keen.
Will go and research Sorrento. The weather sounds ideal and a few ruins and sights are always welcome.
Thanks for your replies-any more ideas. It doesn't even have to be a 'hot' country just not wet!

Geordieminx Thu 28-Jul-11 18:54:51

Sorrento is lovely, and you can get the hydrofoil to the Amalfi coast very easily. I hated Naples, very dirty, lots of beggars, but a day trip to Pompeii is easily done. There is a fab ice cream shop in Sorrento, and some lovely markets

sun1234 Thu 28-Jul-11 21:55:52

Istria?? Its a lot less warm there than further south in Dalmatia (Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik etc)

Or Austria? I'd go for Tuscany or Venice

harbingerofdoom Fri 29-Jul-11 15:52:31

Is Venice VERY touristy all the year round?

Havn't considered Austria, it must be quite beautiful but is it very expensive? Bit of a blank page on this country.

fluffy123 Fri 29-Jul-11 17:03:37

Cape town , loads to do and it will be their mild winter time.

harbingerofdoom Fri 29-Jul-11 18:22:22

Wow, Cape Town, never set foot in Africa. Would not want to visit African countries round the Med at the moment.

Long flight but same (ish) time zone. Interesting suggestion.

orienteerer Fri 29-Jul-11 18:29:18

I think I'd go somewhere in mainland europe that I could reach by train, there's a certain romance to long distance train travel when you go to sleep in one country and wake up in another. You could combine a city stopover followed by a relaxing country/mountain hotel?

strandednomore Fri 29-Jul-11 19:05:41

Disneyworld?

Kidding! How about Jordan - Dead Sea, Petra, diving? Or Morocco? Or I'm with those who have suggested Italy. Or how about Russia - St Petersburg is very "hot" at the moment and Moscow is very interesting.

happyhorse Fri 29-Jul-11 19:35:06

I'd go here (in my dreams)

www.mangiacane.it/

harbingerofdoom Fri 29-Jul-11 19:38:34

I think Russia is ruled out on this occasion due to the price of the visa. However , we would both love to go Russia when we have more time and energy to 'travel'.
Now I love the idea of train rather than plane. Can it be that easy? (commuting
DH is not sure!) Have heard of seat 61 site.
Jordan is a great idea but I have been there (as a child). Diving is out because although I swim like a fish, I have dodgy ears and DH swims like a whale and would never sink!
Sorry to be a bit negative but it just goes to show how fussy one gets with age.
You're coming up with some great ideas but nothing has 'clicked' IYKWIM

smearedinfood Fri 29-Jul-11 19:45:22

We did a city break to Vienna, really loved it. Affordable, lots to see especially if you like your culture,, easy to get around on trams and we paid 12 euro 2 years ago for 4 days of public transport

orienteerer Fri 29-Jul-11 20:03:15

Vienna is a fab idea (slightly biased as have local info)grin.

orienteerer Fri 29-Jul-11 20:04:26

....Vienna by traingrin then a few nights in the mountains on the way back!

concretefeet Fri 29-Jul-11 20:33:07

We had a great weekend in Bologna at that time of year and I loved Lucca as well.

harbingerofdoom Fri 29-Jul-11 20:54:51

OK, Vienna on the list.
Have you been there by train? Tell me.
Both like the idea smile

orienteerer Fri 29-Jul-11 21:32:34

OK, well must admit haven't done the whole journey by train but have done Vienna-Dusseldorf (then 4 hour drive to Calais) twice (return), plus one single return journey to UK, all with the car & dog.......plus lived in Vienna for 5 yearsgrin.....so possibly a bit biased!! I loiter on the Seat61.com website and keep mentally planning return trips to Austria by train. Being totally practical, train does not generally come out as cheapest option but it's still up there on my wish list. I am however a fan of Vienna & Austrian hotels (mountain/spa) in general so can advisegrin.

higgle Mon 01-Aug-11 16:24:28

Our first child-free holiday was a safari in Tanzania and a few days in Zanzibar and Chumbe Island - absoloutely idylic all round.

notcitrus Mon 01-Aug-11 17:05:33

Italian lakes sounds lovely as a change from children - you could fly to Verona, spend a day there (either admiring the Colisseum or seeing an opera in it), then bus to Lake Garda, and spend time sampling the local wines and excellent cooking and wandering around looking at scenery and castles.

Venice or Vienna also both lovely. Or what about Paris for ease of getting to and excellent food?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now