Talk

Advanced search

DFDS Ferry to Amsterdam

(6 Posts)
gregssausageroll Wed 27-Jul-11 19:48:21

has anyone taken this ferry from Newcastle before? We have a commodore cabin but would love to hear proper reviews. Thanks/

jinkers Thu 28-Jul-11 12:30:20

We travelled back from Amsterdam on this route yesterday- the cabin was fine (not sure what type it was as we were travelling with a group and I didn't do the booking), the crew were friendly, and it was all clean enough- but the on-board prices were horrific. Our meals were arranged throught the group booking, and were very nice- but it was around 35 Euros per adult for the buffet evening meal if you paid on board, it cost 8.50 Euros for a very average sandwich and coffee, 5 Euros for a small glass of wine etc.
The on board shop was also very expensive- perfume, which I was intending to buy as an end of holiday treat was loads more expensive than on mainland Europe or in the UK.
One of our group felt unwell during dinner and I asked a waiter for a glass of water- this appeared to pose a problem as it was free, and the head waiter was summoned. After I insisted a glass of water was grudgingly provided..... if I was doing this crossing again I'd bring a bottle of wine, a flask of coffee and a picnic!
Having said all that, I hope you enjoy your crossing- in case it's rough it's worth knowing that they do hand out free sea sickness tablets from the main desk on board!

gregssausageroll Thu 28-Jul-11 12:53:21

Thank you so much for coming back to me. I think the plan is to take at least a couple of bottles of wine with us. It is organised by our local radio station and I've been told that they are bringing the bar prices down which is a good sign. Dinner and breakfast is included so not too bad so far.

Glad it is clean though.

Did the cabin have a hairdryer?!

jinkers Thu 28-Jul-11 13:58:20

Hi- afraid there was no hairdrier in our cabin, and you needed an adaptor as it was a European 2 pin plug socket. Enjoy your trip!

Geordieminx Thu 28-Jul-11 19:07:39

It's very er.... Lively grin

pussinwellyboots Fri 29-Jul-11 13:55:35

as everyone else has said do beware of high prices on board, our accomodation was better than we expected - basic but clean. If you're eating at the buffets just beware of added extras - at breakfast a waiter was coming around with a tray of freshly squeezed juice, no price on the tray, i saw a few people look alarmed when they realised that it was something like 8 euros a glass! I seem to remember there was something similar at the evening buffet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now