Talk

Advanced search

hotel room with 1yo - what do you do?

(9 Posts)
sunnysunnyshine Wed 27-Jul-11 11:09:01

I'm looking to go away for a long weekend with dh and ds who is 1. Do 'family rooms' exist, with an adjoining room or slightly separate part? Or is it called a 'suite'? That sounds like it would cost a fortune though...
When I try and google for hotels with family, I just get a room with a cot in it.
What do people generally do when staying in a hotel?

LIZS Wed 27-Jul-11 11:18:33

Family rooms tend to just be 1 double and 2 singles in one space. If you are lucky the singles are off to the side, perhaps with a partition wall depending on the shape of the room. tbh we've never had an issue with sharing a room with a lo. You just postion the cot in the darkest part and read/watch tv quietly once they have nodded off.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 27-Jul-11 11:19:47

I used to put the cot's mattress in the bathtub, and put the baby in there. Ok, you have to pee 'quietly' then, but at least you can watch tv/read/whatever without fretting.

The bathroom is normally pretty soundproof, and generally windowless, so yay! (I've also used a closet, once. blush)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 27-Jul-11 11:20:17

(Oh, and self-catering is lots better with kids, particularly when they get big enough to not want to sleep in the bathtub. Or big enough not to be trusted in there!)

lorelilee Wed 27-Jul-11 11:25:46

Agree with Cockney, self catering is much better - a lot more room for a start. However, wee ones tend to sleep through a quiet TV or any movement.

sunnysunnyshine Wed 27-Jul-11 11:34:55

Thing is, dc is such a light sleeper...and we want to have a bit of an evening really. No wild partying obviously, but we don't want to be whispering and creeping about.

He's a bit big for the bathtub, but then I could put the travel cot in the bathroom if it was big enough I guess.
Haha the closet! Well I've heard of people using drawers so not so different smile

Yep self catering would def be better, gonna have a look...it's a bit last minute (this weekend) so getting a bit tricky.

mummymeister Wed 27-Jul-11 22:02:56

Sorry OP agree with above posters. If you want a separate room or space then you are looking at a suite or paying for 2 separate rooms so yes double the price. Find a hotel with a nice bar/tv room and a listening service so you only go up to your room when you want to go to bed. have stayed in places with little side rooms off but kids still stayed awake with the TV so went for the other option or self catering.

Portofino Thu 28-Jul-11 10:42:04

We always used to try and get a suite, or use places like Citadines where you get a separate bedroom. Where are you thinking of going, and what's your budget? I am sure we could help you find something.

SoundTheOctoalert Thu 28-Jul-11 19:30:41

Not sure where you're planning on going, but last year I arranged interconnecting rooms at a Holiday Inn for only £20 more than a family rooms price, had to phone them to get it though. Think that might be your best option, to phone them as they're never on online booking as far as I've seen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now