Talk

Advanced search

Insect repellant that actually works (on Mexican mossies)??

(7 Posts)
stealthsquiggle Tue 26-Jul-11 15:47:09

..can someone please recommend something? I think we have been lucky the last few years and have not really encountered bad mossies, but it seems from reviews that Mexico (Cancun(ish)) in late August/early September will be mossie central.

I need s'thing that will work for DC (8 & 4) and me. DH will drink gallons of tabasco (in tom juice, with and without vodka) and scare the little feckers off.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 26-Jul-11 17:38:20

I would use a repellent with DEET in it and spray it on liberally.

Learn about the mosquito's habits in terms of when they are most active, wear light coloured clothing and if possible sleep under a mosquito net at night.

What your DH is planning will not prevent him at all from being bitten alive!.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 26-Jul-11 17:42:38

I would also seek proper medical advice regarding the possible use of antimalarials at least 8 weeks before you travel.

stealthsquiggle Tue 26-Jul-11 17:45:04

Atilla - unfortunately experience suggests that DH's approach does in fact work - it makes him less appetising than me, apparently hmm

stealthsquiggle Tue 26-Jul-11 17:49:29

Malaria risk not high enough for me to risk anti-malarials (esp for 4yo) - we are not going anywhere remote.

Can anyone recommend specific brands that have worked well for DC?

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 26-Jul-11 18:40:31

"Atilla - unfortunately experience suggests that DH's approach does in fact work - it makes him less appetising than me, apparently"

No, he has just been lucky to date. Consumption of a specific type of alcohol does not prevent mosquitoes biting a person and mossie bites can be irritating at the very least.

What about using something like Jungle Formula?. This can be used safely on both children and adults alike. Try and sleep under a mosquito net as well as using the air conditioning in the evenings.

stealthsquiggle Tue 26-Jul-11 18:56:40

It's not the alcohol (he only adds vodka in the evenings!) - it's the tabasco - sweating tabasco does appear to deter mosquitos.

Is Jungle Formula good - or are own brand equivalents just the same [ignoramus]?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: