Talk

Advanced search

Clear your cookies - lower your price!

(8 Posts)
NotADudeExactly Mon 25-Jul-11 19:02:31

Posting this tip separately as per a request on another thread:

If you are shopping around for tickets / holiday bookings online, make sure to clear your cookies before booking.

Many search/booking engines will store your previous searches in a cookie. When you search for the same journey/product again you will be quoted a higher price, hence giving you the (false) impression that prices are going up.

Once you have removed the offending cookie, the original price quoted will magically re-appear (providing it has not really been changed in the mean time).

I have in the past come across this with P&O Ferries, BA, EasyJet and AirFranceKLM among others. The same principle may apply to some hotel bookings - the trick certainly worked with one of my former employers (chain hotel).

noyouhavehadawee Mon 25-Jul-11 19:04:50

how do you do thst then?

NotADudeExactly Mon 25-Jul-11 19:08:29

That depends on the browser and your OS. I think this site has a pretty good collection of instructions: www.aboutcookies.org/Default.aspx?page=2

RightUpMyRue Mon 25-Jul-11 19:11:37

The robbing swines.

tallulah Mon 25-Jul-11 19:33:51

Be aware that if you do this you will also lose your MN log-in and will have to do it again grin

NotADudeExactly Mon 25-Jul-11 20:10:58

True, tallulah.

I.e. you will be logged out and have to re-enter your user name and password.

Your accound, of course, will still be there. smile

NotADudeExactly Mon 25-Jul-11 20:11:09

account, even.

culturemulcher Mon 25-Jul-11 22:41:01

Really good tip, thanks NotADude

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now