Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how much money to take when staying at a hotel/resort the whole time? (Tips etc)

(15 Posts)
oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Mon 25-Jul-11 13:51:26

We are going to Thailand to a resort. We've never done a hol like this before and we are planning to stay put for nearly all of the time (it's a R&R holiday).

We have paid for B&B and we plan to pay for meals on account and will pay with card at end of holiday. Transfers are paid for already.

So how much of the local currency would you take? Are we expected to tip the whole time? and how much?

thanks

hifi Mon 25-Jul-11 18:22:39

when we go we tend to eat outside the hotel as well as in, theres usually a beach shack set up outside the main hotel. we also have all our washing/ironing done before we go home, about £15 for 2 adults 2 kids.theres uasually massage huts as well £5 for an hour.
tipping, its not expected but welcomed. someone who cleans your room is probably on £2.50 a day, we tipped weekly, about £10.
for room service we gave 50 bhat,just over a pound, half of that is acceptable.
the kids club staff we also tipped,again weekly, £20.
which resort are you staying at?
some people dont tip at all, we do a we have been going to thailand for years and this particular hotel for 4 years and know the staff and how they struggle,especially if they have families.

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Mon 25-Jul-11 19:22:48

We're going to le meridian in khao lak.
Thanks for info so far, really useful smile

hifi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:40:40

omg, thats where we stay!

hifi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:53:09

the breakfast is amazing and usually on until 11am,kids menu is about £2, the other restaurants on site are great,especially the indian. it is £10 plus for a glass of wine though, but they do have a happy hour. we had a babysitter every day for dd1 nap time ,dd2 went to kids club and we went round the adults only pool thats amazing.

if you go to the beach and look at the resort to your right theres a shack called rim lay, good for thai food at lunch time. if you carry on further past rim lay, about 15 mins you come to another row of shacks, Mr Neoung is the owner and he gives you a lift back in the evening.its next to the Sarojin hotel,amazing sea food.

again look at the resort and go left, beautiful beach, we walked for 40 mins and came upon a thompson hotel and had facial and massage, £5!

i mentioned on another thread we were spending £200 + a day on food in the hotel, its not cheap!!

hifi Mon 25-Jul-11 19:59:36

how old are your children?

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Mon 25-Jul-11 20:16:52

Oh wow! You do realise I shan't be giving you a minute's peace until we go on Saturday don't you?!

Dd1 is 9, dd2 is 5. We were wondering about meals - we figured we might not necessarily eat lunch if we'd had a mahooosive breakfast and could maybe make do with snacks til dinner? But those huts sound great. We're not planning on doing much or going far: this is a R&R holiday after losing my dad last month.

We're staying in deluxe pool rooms.

£200+ a day sounds a bit scary...

hifi Tue 26-Jul-11 09:26:24

the kids club is great, thai boxing, they can go to the italian restaurant to make pizzas with the chef. theres also psp type games in there. the clientel is different in august, more thais go, so they may do more deals on food.the kids pool is great, 2 slides and a swirly river type thing.

the beach is lovely, bean bags and a pontoon you can swim out to.

if you have transport they will pick you up from a suite at the airport, very swish,they should get your cases for you. we ask the driver on the way to hotel to stop at one of the big supermarkets in khoa lak. we then stock up on drinks. spirits are cheaper than wine. we also get loads of cartons for the kids, otherwise its £2 a glass of juice.

we usually have 30 transfer time in bangkok to get the connection to phucket so check your ticket. if longer theres lovely places to eat in the airport.

i got extra strength mosi spray from nomad, they were freocious at christmas.

hifi Tue 26-Jul-11 09:27:00

sorry to hear about your dad.

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Tue 26-Jul-11 09:40:29

Morning! Thanks re.Dad. We've spent 18m caring for him and we are completely shattered and missing him like crazy at the moment. I usually book holidays with loads to do, loads to organise, etc. but my brain is absolutely gone and I just want to be looked after. If I could organise a piggy back from the plane to my lounger I would!

Brilliant tip re. the drinks. We've booked with Virgin so transfer is sorted; hope we will be able to still stop off.

I must admit I'm nervous about the mossies. I have bought a shed-load of Avon's skin-so-soft, which sounds completely rubbish but loads of people have raved about it re.mossies in places like the Far east and the army/marines use it apparently in the jungle!?! Wonder if I should get the nomad stuff as well?... I've also bought one of those electric zapper thingies that you use to get rid of the sting once they've eaten you.

I've read on Trip Advisor that not all of the restaurants are open with it being low season but I can't get any info about the average price of a meal within the hotel. All the posts on TA either say it's 'reasonable' or a 'bit' overpriced but these could be millionaires as far as I know, and your post about the £200+ for meals has also worried me a tad.

Btw, thanks so much for all this info - it's invaluable.

hifi Tue 26-Jul-11 12:12:22

will totally have a well deserved rest. they even come and clean your sunglasses whilst you are lounging. they also have a "managed sun protection scheme", they basically time and apply sun cream for you,wasnt cheap though.

drinks do bump up the daily bill, a bottle of Hardys crest chardonnay is about £25!!!

i also take fruit from breakfast, and filled dds beakers with juice.a small container is good for stealing the lovely pastries.

its usually the indian thats open on select days, i thinkl the italian is open most nights but very popular so i would book. a pizza is about £7, its basically uk prices for food. room service is good. they also do buffet evenings where the children eat free, usually about £25 a head.

they have a shuttle service to Khoa lak, think its £2 for adults and kids free, you need to book though. loads of retaurants, chemists etc, even A mcdonalds.xi back is about £5.

there is an on site nurse for minor ailments, its free but you pay for any medicines, still cheap. for mozie bites/scars we were recommended Betnovate, buy it over the counter and it does get rid of scars.

you can eat more reasonably if you do the huts,our dds sat in the sand and played while we stuffed our faces, they are very accomodating and cooked plain chicken breast for dds

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Fri 29-Jul-11 08:00:13

Hello again. Am hoping hifi is around again before we set off tomorrow to answer a couple of queries...

Firstly, do you pay for hotel meals/drinks on a tab, and do you pay for this card or cash? I'm thinking of getting Baht out at the airport over there via an ATM as I've forgotten to ore-order any money <dickhead>

Other thing: do they have plug adaptors at the hotel for hairdryers etc? Or do I need to buy adaptor at the airport?

Thank you! (fingers crossed you'll be around today)

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Fri 29-Jul-11 08:00:56

pre order

hifi Fri 29-Jul-11 11:09:37

you charge everything to your room, they didint accept natwest debit card, we had to use a credit card. theres an atm on site. there are hairdryers in the room,as far as i can remember they are attatched in the bathroom. you will need adapters if you are taking uk stuff, they are the flat pin type not the round ones.
you wont need any towels, they issue you with a card for beach towels. the men who man the beach do everything for you, move your sun shade etc.one told me at xmas that if anyone sees guests doing this they get into trouble!

theres no wifi in regular rooms, there is a computer suite you can use but its quite expensive. theres free wifi in the lobbly.

all the bars have different times for happy hour. the beach is first at 5pm ithink, then the lobby then the indian restaurant.

if you go to the main entrance at the front of the hotel. look across the road theres a wooden shack. we took all our clothes to be washed and ironed, its usually a day turnaround. they get old stains out and any repairs. for 2 adults and 2 kids it was about £15.

im sure you will have a great time, im already looking at flights for xmas. report back!

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Fri 29-Jul-11 13:15:25

That is brilliant, thank you. Yikes - don't have a credit card at the moment! Am hoping dh has still got his... but the atm should be fine anyway.

Have decided to do without my babyliss big hair for the duration of the hols <brave>

Thanks so much. I am counting down the hours now. Will be sure to report back in a few weeks' time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now