Talk

Advanced search

Family hoiday- Brugge or Ostend?

(11 Posts)
SunshineAndBlueSkies Thu 21-Jul-11 11:19:27

Brugge would I imagine appeal to the adults being historic and pretty. Ostend is on the sea and easy access to nice coastal towns via tram but looks slightly naff so which one?

juneau Thu 21-Jul-11 15:07:00

Definitely Brugge. Ostend isn't very nice - it's a typical ferry-port town with standard high street shops, but little charm. Brugge, OTH, is gorgeous

SunshineAndBlueSkies Thu 21-Jul-11 17:55:27

Bruges it is!
I have spent most of the day looking at accomodation online and eurostar tickets.
Excited.
Thanks

TabithaTwitchet Thu 21-Jul-11 18:04:49

Just want to stick up a bit for Ostend - it is brilliant for children (nice park, fab saltwater swimming pool, big beaches, pedal go-karts for hire on the front, tram trips, waffle stands on the seafront... It is naff though (which is why I loved it so much as a child)

SunshineAndBlueSkies Thu 21-Jul-11 18:41:02

We plan to do a day trip to Ostend Tabitha smile

lucymelz Thu 21-Jul-11 21:40:38

Hello ladies. This is my first posting so please be gentle! We are driving to the netherlands next week and plan to stop over for one night in Belgium. Can anyone recommend a nice kiddie-friendly gite or hotel that's close to countryside/forest? We have two under fives and plan to pack light! Thanks, Lucy

SunshineAndBlueSkies Thu 21-Jul-11 21:42:04

Hi Lucy you might be better starting another thread to ask as you will get more noticed that way smile

juneau Fri 22-Jul-11 15:07:47

Sunshine - make sure you go to Damme too. It's not far from Brugge and sooo pretty. Little town alongside a canal with a lovely square and some nice restaurants.

Portofino Sun 24-Jul-11 13:37:52

I would stay in De Haan and do day trips personally - but am probably too late wink Useful website here

Portofino Sun 24-Jul-11 13:38:33

Where are you going in the Netherlands, Lucy?

cornetjo Sun 24-Jul-11 22:45:37

I agree with De Haan, it is great for children. There is a lovely park where they can ride karts, sandpit, park etc, with a great cafe in the middle. Also close to the beach. The town has character. The tram stops right in the middle of the town and you can access all places along the coast. Blankenburg is also great as it has a great park also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now