Talk

Advanced search

What is everybody's problem with the french on holiday?? (trip adviser reviews)

(7 Posts)
maxbradbury Tue 19-Jul-11 16:26:51

Ok going on much needed hol next week and have been checking recent reviews on trip adviser.
Every other person on there has moaned about there being too many french (going to Bodrum) people and how rude they are!
It's really starting to bug me!!!!
Do you really listen to trip adviser reviews?

frenchfancy Tue 19-Jul-11 18:06:48

I do read trip advisor reviews, but only for accommodation and things to do. I filter out xenophobic comments and such like.

The French are in general very well mannered. I am surprised it would be an issue TBH.

andiexpectopatronum Tue 19-Jul-11 18:08:56

ff I'm not sure that is true we have never had a problem in the summer but some of them are shocking on ski holidays. The concept of queuing at the lifts appears to be completely alien and they regularly push out of the way or ski over children.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 19-Jul-11 18:24:06

trop d'anglais

maxbradbury Tue 19-Jul-11 19:09:38

othersideofthechannel -that really made me laugh!

Figgygirl Wed 20-Jul-11 22:34:32

I visit France on a regular basis - for skiing, Disneyland and trips to Paris. We also ski in Andorra, where there is a mix of British, Franc and Spanish people.
I have not read the reviews that Max mentions, but must admit that we find the same problems regarding queueing and general respectful behaviour that is mentioned in both the ski resorts and Disneyland. If you read reviews of Disneyland you will find that many British people complain about the queue jumping, and pushing and shoving that goes on there by other European visitors ( not just French ) to meet Characters, watching parades, and for the Disney buses to/ from hotels.
I think it is just because we Brits are used to waiting in line, and expect others to do the same, but other cultures are different.
Having said that, I would rather holiday with French people than some yobbish loud ( and foul ) mouthed drunken Brits that you get abroad.......

Bunbaker Sat 23-Jul-11 08:50:48

"I filter out xenophobic comments and such like."

So do I. Some reviewers complain that their hotel was full of French and German visitors and there were no other English people!!! Why on earth is that a problem? I just don't get it.

On holiday in Croatia a couple of years ago I was very pleased that there were so few Brits there, and the ones that were there were lovely. I felt like I was properly abroad because it hadn't been Englishified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now