Talk

Advanced search

Packing nightmare...what do you take?

(12 Posts)
chickydoo Sat 16-Jul-11 22:38:21

OK I need major help!!!!! I just can't pack....every year it's the same..... I have put out the following need to decide what goes in what stays. I know it's far far far too much, but I am totally hopeless.
2 weeks in Greece
so Far
5 sun dresses....day
8 dresses for evening
4 pairs of shorts
6 nice bikinis. 4 old ones I might leave them there, as elastic not great.
6 Kaftans/cover ups 2 that will be nice for evening 4 cover all sins.
2 sarongs
8 tops
1 pair white crops
1 pair black crops
1 pair pink crops
2 pairs of leggings
1 jersey jumpsuit.
1 sweatshirt
2 wrap cardis
2 pashminas
white flipflops
black flipflops
pumps
wedges glittery
jewled flip flops
pink flip flops
silver pumps
3 belts
undies
HELP ME WHITTLE DOWN...by Wednesday

androbbob Sat 16-Jul-11 22:53:50

Have you checked your luggage allowance yet? You dont get much in a case for that these days!

Far too much stuff there! I take a little tube of handwash and do the smalls in the sink so you can manage with 4 sets of underwear for a start!

13 dresses? Really!

Are you really going to wear 5 dresses in the day over 2 weeks?

7 pairs of shoes - 4 flip flops? One pair of flip flops for the day, 1 pair of pumps for the day and two evening pairs of shoes should suffice?!

Number of bikinis - ok to me.

I would start again and have a set of 7 outfits that you could wear twice - and even then have a top that would go with two different trousers, etc.

Just remember when you get sunburn - what you wear may be restricted as the straps may rub, etc.

scrappydappydoo Sat 16-Jul-11 22:56:56

What are you planning to do e.g mostly beach days with a couple days sightseeing or vice versa? hotel or apartment, catered or self catering?

chickydoo Sun 17-Jul-11 08:31:25

Thanks for that.
A villa holiday, beach, sightseeing etc during day. Mostly will eat out in the evenings at local tavernas.
I know I've got too much stuff, am just about to go through it all again. Aggg!!!

MindtheGappp Sun 17-Jul-11 08:36:17

We have just come back from Tunisia.

In one week, I wore (in addition to what I travelled in)

2 tankinis and 1 Aussie UV top/shorts
1 pool cover-up
2 pairs of shorts
1 skirt
1 maxi dress
1 linen trousers and matching top
3 or 4 vest tops
1 leggings and matching top
7 knickers
Pair of sandals.

I overpacked because I had a couple of outfits that I didn't wear.

In addition to clothes, I used a beach towel and sun cream/toiletries.

If you are one a beach/pool holiday, you don't need several fresh sets of clothes each day. You can get dressed into your bathing suit in the morning and slip over a dress or shorts/t-shirt for meals, and save more substantial clothes for trips out. Unless you dribble your food, you should be able to wear the same thing several times. It is perfectly acceptable to wear day clothes in the evening.

scrappydappydoo Sun 17-Jul-11 08:49:39

Ah right then start by cutting it all in half - then:
have 2 sightseeing outfits, 3 or 4 evening outfits (you won't end up in the same place every night so it does matter if you wear them twice) or maybe take some stuff you can mix and match to create new outfit, bikinis and undies fine and then some shorts/tops to slob around in round the villa. Throw in suitcase and enjoy your break smile

androbbob Sun 17-Jul-11 11:45:16

If it is a private villa and only your family going then you can get away with little for the daytime as you dont need to cover up to walk from room to pool and can go inside if too hot in day.

Agree with the mention of 3 or 4 evening outfits - especially if mix and match - resses are not the best for this as they are wear once! I would cut down on the dresses really.

chickydoo Sun 17-Jul-11 13:55:40

Thank you all. Have done it. Weight limmit 25K my bag weighs 17K just need to put in cosmetics and a couple of books.
Will now have room for a little holiday shopping! smile

androbbob Sun 17-Jul-11 21:48:11

Yeah! Have a happy holiday! Make sure you come back and let us know if you wore everything! grin

ENormaSnob Wed 20-Jul-11 16:52:18

You take less than me blush

diabolo Wed 20-Jul-11 17:10:20

Crikey - that's a lot of clothes!

I take 5 dresses for evenings out in restaurants and 2 smart pairs of shorts and 3 nice tops for evenings out in towns

One pair beach shorts and 3 beach tops

3 bikinis

A kaftan.

2 pairs of sandals.

Luckily the villa we stay in is totally private, so most of my time there is spent nude! grin

girlywhirly Thu 21-Jul-11 10:28:16

Getting a smaller case always helps.

I am cheesed off with Thomsons because 20kg checked luggage was free, now only 15kg is free and you have to pay for the extra, in line with other airlines I was told.

DH teases me about holiday clothes, we are going in 6 weeks time, and he says it will take me that long just to decide on what jewellery to pack! (I have 2 big boxes full) This year we are going for 2 weeks, so I shall plan in terms of separates and how many 'outfits' I can create from them, then add in footwear, beach wear, toiletries, books, accessories and so on.

I have got us a large beach towel each, and two microfibre ones each for drying off after a swim. They are 120x60cm in size and only £1.99 each from Home Bargains. Very lightweight and fold very small, and will wash and dry easily and quickly. Beach towels weigh loads, I will take an extra pair of sandals with the weight I've saved. I'm aiming to take less underwear also, and a tube of travel wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now