Talk

Advanced search

help with spanish medical system. need to see a midwife while abroad?

(7 Posts)
mamaesi Sat 16-Jul-11 15:46:38

I am pregnant and spending the summer in spain and have been advised to see a midwife for my 25 week appointment.

Does anyone know how that works there? Should I pop into the hospital? Do I have to pay for a private gynacoligist? Do they have midwives?

mamsnet Sat 16-Jul-11 15:59:02

Do you have private health insurance? If so, probablythe best thing is to set up a contact with a private gyne.

If not, sort out your E111 (think it might be called something else now but NHS info should be able to help you). Then you will be able to see your corresponding local GP (or midwife) if it's just blood pressure etc you want checking or if you have any bigger doubts or questions, see a gyne via outpatients (urgencias). You will find you are very well looked after, albeit slightly more medical than in the UK.

Do your homework, though. Have your papers in order. Also, if you're going to a typical resort type place, there may well be some sort of English webpage, forum or similar that will help you out.

mamaesi Sun 17-Jul-11 13:52:39

I have health insurance but it only covers emergencies. I have my european health card thing and travel insurance that covers medical, but again, only emergencies.

I am not staying in a resort. My family friend has rented a villa.

Will a gyn appointment be expensive?

gregssausageroll Sun 17-Jul-11 14:06:13

Would it be feasible to fly home (budget airline) for your appointment? It would be a long day but I know the expense of healthcare abroad so keep it in mind.

mamaesi Sun 17-Jul-11 17:52:53

no way can I fly home.

gregssausageroll Sun 17-Jul-11 18:53:52

ok. was just a thought. When I lived in Australia we knew people who flew back to the UK for dental treatment. Was cheaper than paying in Aus.

Where are you going to be? I live in Spain so if you're near me I can point you in the right direction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now