Talk

Advanced search

Marrakesh

(14 Posts)
sue52 Thu 14-Jul-11 15:07:20

I am thinking of a holiday in Marrakesh this summer with DD aged 15. Anyone know if 2 females will get more hassle there than is tolerable?

Kaelle Fri 15-Jul-11 10:09:58

I just wrote you the longest most enthusiastic message and it all got wiped off angry.
Headlines: no uncomfy hassle; just retail hassle, but u get used to that
I think too hot in summer...autumn half term instead??
Went w two teenage steps and my then two younger DD. (4and6) Fab place for teens-have great stories to tell about bargaining and belly dancers
-great vibrant colours, great spicey and floral smells and abfab food, from trad to best asian fusion I had been to in a long time.

Let me know if u want more?

sue52 Fri 15-Jul-11 10:42:20

Kaelle Thanks so much for that. DD and I relish retail hassle. It's our first holiday without DH so we were just a bit anxious. You have really put my mind at rest.

Kaelle Fri 15-Jul-11 11:46:22

Taught my stepD 13 at the time to bargain as she watched me walking away from a half priced offer on a belt she REALLY wanted only to be shocked when the shopkeeper came running after us. I got her the belt for an even lower amt. She saw the game of it, I gave her money and she had a great time seeing how much she could get!,!

StepS, 15 at said Asian fusion euro rest. 11pm, young pretty belly dancers come out to dance about and on the tables. SS famously says to STBEH, Dad, if my future wife doesn't know how to belly dance, I'm going to buy her lessons!! After the dancing, the rest becomes late night dancing bar/club.

Good friend runs very nice (but exp) boutique hotel called Dar les cigognes, on the outside of the medina. Nice place to stay. Try to be central, if you can.

kaumana Fri 15-Jul-11 11:52:31

I'm going to Marrakech with DS12 and sister on Tuesday so I'll let you know on our return!

I'm really looking forward to it, we've booked a day trip to the Atlas mountains and a 1/2 day trip round Marrakech so we can get our bearings.

Kaelle Fri 15-Jul-11 12:34:34

Perfect, esp if that atlas day trip involves the final portion on mules for lunch at an old monastery w awesome views??

The city guide we had was great at pitching the tour to the children, starting in the old traditional city and ending w the more upscale, euro ip side of the city. English was perfect!

sue52 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:54:33

I've just booked the holiday.

I hope you have a great time kaumana.

*Kaelle do you know if it's possible to do a day trip to Casablanca or am I being over ambitious?

kaumana Fri 15-Jul-11 13:54:38

I'm not sure if we are going to end up on mules as yet. Could be interesting!!

Am looking forward to bartering, I honed my skills while living in Italy and going to the weekly market though I am expecting quite a different experience. grin

MiceHaveFeelingsToo Fri 15-Jul-11 13:59:47

sue52 Casablanca was a bit disappointing in my opinion, its just a business area really. Much better for day trip is Essaouira, on the coast. Beautiful fishing town, with pretty houses, great market, and a little cooler than Marrakech (which is BLOODY hot in August!).

ruddynorah Fri 15-Jul-11 14:02:24

It's going to be uncomfortably hot in august.

You can't really do a day trip to Casablanca. The express train takes about 3 hours each way, plus apart from the huge mosque there isn't much too see. Nice shops, but same as any big European city. Birmingham, but white.

kaumana Fri 15-Jul-11 14:12:28

I have to admit that I'm not looking forward to the heat but plan to get up early and retreat indoors at the hottest times. I certainly would not be going if my hotel did not have a pool and air con. High of 38c today!

sue52 Fri 15-Jul-11 14:42:19

I'm planning on early starts and air conditioned afternoons, then out again after sundown. We were in Luxor in August a couple of years ago and that's how we coped with the heat back then. Reading what you say it might be better to give Casablanca a miss. I'll look up Essaouira instead.

kaumana Fri 15-Jul-11 15:00:58

Sue, there are alot of good deals out there at the moment, hope you find a goodie.

Kaelle Sat 16-Jul-11 11:38:18

Agree w all said: no Casablanca, resounding yes on essaouira, and afternoons in the hotel! We would do morning and late lunches in town, then hotel, big naps, then pool from 4ish and then pre dinner drinks somewhere, more walking shopping ( things stay open v late) then dinner. Kids loved that routine. My DD no 2 who must have been 4, would always find herself some velvet divan to fall asleep on at around 11pm, completely pampered by all staff who would drape her in a silky throw. SUCH a child friendly place! This making me want to go back!! Maybe we'll go autumn half term....humm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now