Talk

Advanced search

DH has booked ferry & eurotunnel to france in 2 weeeks

(36 Posts)
TennisFan Thu 14-Jul-11 07:48:07

But we don't have any accommodation planned yet.
I have looked at the camping companies like key camp/ siblu etc but difficult to find space at a price I can afford. I had no idea those places were so £££
Spent last night trawling trough ownersdirect and chez nous.

Starting to panic that we won't find anything.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestiions?
Thx

KatyMac Thu 14-Jul-11 07:50:38

Siblu take Tescos vouchers; do you have any?

Peachy Thu 14-Jul-11 07:51:08

I know Siblu have some offes on their site have you tried them?

Alternatively if camping i reckon signing up to camping and caravanning today tehn calling their clubrez tram 9deals with Europe) is best bet

TennisFan Thu 14-Jul-11 07:57:28

No don't have any telco vouchers just didn't realise that siblu for instance would be over £1000 for 7 days in a caravan.

Will look up c&c club - will they have things to hire?

Think ideally we would do one week at a
Campsite and one week at a gite in case we all hate the site.

I stayed up to 1am last night and now off to work to spend the day looking again. Don't want to spend more than £2000 in total as the travelling Inc fuel is already about £800

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 14-Jul-11 08:05:18

Can you buy yourself a tent and basic camping stuff. I am sure it wouldn't come to more than about 200 pounds if you went to Decathlon.

Peachy Thu 14-Jul-11 08:05:34

Ah I thought yo would have a tent by cmping, so prob not for C&CC. Shame. Buy a tent? smile

TennisFan Thu 14-Jul-11 08:10:56

Don't want to do actual camping. That would not be my idea of a holiday. Novelty would wear off after about 2 cold nights. I am rubbish at that kind of thing could only really put up with a caravan I think.

Thx for support def off now to work so will be back after 9 smile

Othersideofthechannel Thu 14-Jul-11 08:28:09

Which bit of France do you want to visit? In this part of France (Pas de Calais) you can get a gite for 4 people for less than 600 Euros for a week.

Ruthiebabes Thu 14-Jul-11 09:58:18

You can book mobile homes direct with owners which is much cheaper... and you still use all the facilities.

I have a few suggestions

www.ownersdirect.co.uk... the following are showing availability for start of August FR8794 FR8436 FR2421

Or you could try www.directholidayhomes.co.uk. A bit more difficult as you cannot search by the date you require.. but ref 661 seems to have some availability.

Hope you find something

spiderslegs Thu 14-Jul-11 10:23:35

Try here

It's lovely.

TennisFan Thu 14-Jul-11 10:53:11

spiderlegs - it will take me a while to look at that one - its all in French! but hopefully i can work it out.
Have you been there before?

We are looking to go as far south as budget permits - at we would like better sunshine and heat. Have done Charente Maritime/Vendee area a couple of times, so done most of the touristy things before. DH wants to take DS to Monaco for the day, but I don't think we will get affordable place in the Nice region.

more likely, to be Dordoigne, Langedoc etc - an area I haven't done before

malinois Thu 14-Jul-11 11:04:21

Look here

Can I suggest Southern Burgundy? Anywhere from Beaune right down into the Beaujolais. It's stunningly beautiful, not touristy at all and there's loads of cultural stuff to do (Beaune, Cluny, Lyon) as well as cycling, walking, swimming, kayaking etc. Lyon, Nice, Paris, Geneva and Avignon are all a daytrip on the train from Macon TGV station.

And of course there is fantastic wine and food - it is Burgundy after all!

spiderslegs Thu 14-Jul-11 11:04:45

My dad goes there alot, we're going in September, he says it's great for children, a really relaxed site, owners run a restaurant on the site & everone eats there while the children run free.

The chalets & yurts are great apparently.

Pretty reliable for weather too.

spiderslegs Thu 14-Jul-11 11:08:07

It's near Nuit St George in Burgundy.

TennisFan Fri 15-Jul-11 09:37:13

All day yesterday emailing And making enquiries and all I have so far is one place with a vacancy for the first week.

So frustrating that none of those gite sites keep their availability updated.

Portofino Fri 15-Jul-11 11:34:53

Les Salisses is across the road from our Siblu place and looks nice (and is much cheaper than Siblu). We really like Vias.

Portofino Fri 15-Jul-11 12:55:04

Or something like this?

In fact Booking.com has loads of residence type places in Languedoc also with availability showing....

midnightexpress Fri 15-Jul-11 12:57:33

Try les Castels - they own a lot of the campsites that Canvas, Eurocamp, and keycamps use as well. We're just back from a couple of weeks with them at la garangeoire in the Vendee (bit of a schlep from the Eurotunnel, but a lovely site). They had some late availability in an email i got from them last week.

TennisFan Fri 15-Jul-11 14:43:10

Portofino thanks for that tip, the site looks lovely - I have sent them an enquiry and it is just in the right area for us. I haven't been to that area before, and never did a camping type holiday either.

midnightexpress I will contact Les Catels - vendee area would be fine too - we are happy to do the first week further south (I now have 2 gite options for week 1) thanks

we normally do self catering - to try to keep the costs down - but I will look at booking.com as that is a new site for me.

midnightexpress Fri 15-Jul-11 16:00:43

The Vendee had lovely weather the fortnight we were there - up to 38 degrees over one of the weekends!

Bronte Fri 15-Jul-11 19:31:48

Is it just yourself and your DH. I know of a perfect place between the Lot and the Dordogne. The English owner doesn't advertise...we booked it pre internet days via the magazine The Lady!! Send me a PM is you want further details.

TennisFan Fri 15-Jul-11 19:37:44

Still looking - my neck is hurting from my bad posture at the computer!

It is for me, DH, and 2 DC (age 11 & 7), I have been offered a really lovely villa for the first week - way over my budget but it looks so lovely, i wish they hadnt tempted me.

i think i will start looking at burgundy now - no idea where that is - but i am getting nowhere with the languedoc/riviera regions

thanks for all your advice

orienteerer Fri 15-Jul-11 20:30:25

Loads of Gites available on Gites de France. How many bedrooms are you looking for, type of location, budget, one or two weeks?

ENormaSnob Sat 16-Jul-11 09:09:14

Have a look at keycamp/eurocamp/Thompson al fresco etc but staying in a supertent.

It's not like camping IMO and was a lot cheaper than a caravan.

TennisFan Sat 16-Jul-11 10:08:09

We need something for the 2nd week I have found 2 choices for the first in a gite/house with pool

Dates are 6-13th August
Area would be languedoc/ dordoigne/ Charente or vendee I think

Budget is hopefully no more than £1k

We need a pool as otherwise I would have a mutiny on my hands.

I will try the keycamp/ euro amp sites again looking for tents this time too but I don't think I like the sound of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now