Talk

Advanced search

7hours on a train with a toddler

(11 Posts)
shufflebum Fri 08-Jul-11 21:11:14

Please give me your tips to make this as easy as possible. DS is 2.4 and I will be 30 weeks pregnant. I have DH and other family to help so am very lucky in that respect but DS has the attention span of a flea at times so needs lots of things to keep him occupied.
He has a Trunki so that's the waiting at the station sorted with him causing havoc ramming into people's ankles and I'm hoping the novelty of the train and what he can see out of the window will pass some of the time but apart from the obvious snacks, books, small puzzle and hopefully iplayer on the laptop is there anything else that would be entertaining for him and non irritating to other travellers?!
I should say he loves Duplo, toy cars, animals and easy puzzles but is not a fan of colouring, stickers, play doh etc.

puffling Fri 08-Jul-11 21:20:51

Games on your phone?
snacks that take a long time to eat
some visits to the toilet and a walk up and down
I Spy
jigsaw puzzle books (if you have a table)
nap time in the buggy if you can time it right (Find an area of the train where there's room for this).
etch a sketch
DVD player and earphones

Maryz Fri 08-Jul-11 21:34:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shufflebum Fri 08-Jul-11 22:18:55

Thanks for the ideas
Phone crappy so going to have to rely on laptop for games, am trying to see if DH can borrow his work ipad...can't imagine they'll say yes if they know it's for sticky fingered DS.
Have never tried I spy with him so will start practising
Unfortunately not taking buggy so think the chances of sleep are slim
Maryz do you have a link to insect playdoh am intrigued grin and am not lugging an Argos catalogue to France! (DS can't work scissors yet and hates glue anyway so saved from that)
But that Micro machines thing is perfect, will get looking on ebay, do they fold up quite small and are they heavy. The rule is everything has to fit in the Trunki hmm

mummymeister Fri 08-Jul-11 22:51:48

Best friends best advice was to hit the charity shops as much in advance as she could and buy up new to her kids toys and games suitable for packing. things like snap card games little cars, books etc. she then hid them and every 30 minutes gave her kids either a snack, a trip to the loo or one of the games. she used to wrap them in old recycled christmas paper and do the guess what it is game. have tried it and whilst it takes a bit of time and planning has been fool proof works on the journey back because you dont let them play with the things whilst away and it is a surprise all over again. Have had mini figures, farm yard animals, tracing shapes, old mcdonald snap, tummy ache. give it a try! good luck

shufflebum Fri 08-Jul-11 22:58:07

Ah yes unwrapping that takes up time, good plan!
Btw tummy ache? what's that?

beachyhead Fri 08-Jul-11 23:09:35

One new toy every hour needed... can be small wind up toy or something you play with him....I would limit those

shufflebum Fri 08-Jul-11 23:25:19

Why do think MIL is coming grin <disclaimer: I love my MIL and she's great with DS>

Maryz Sat 09-Jul-11 09:52:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummymeister Sun 10-Jul-11 00:51:09

Tummy ache is a food game with cards. you have to make your character eat a nice meal by collecting healthy cards not ones with maggots in. it always appealed to my kids sense of humour. It comes in a small box and as kids got older we used to draw our own cards with things they liked to eat on and then disgusting things on others. hours of fun

Thefoxsbrush Sun 10-Jul-11 13:28:57

I did 5 hours on a train with a 3 yr old whilst pregnant and the worst thing was he never shut up! Had no chance to read the magazine I'd bought.

What about borrowing a portable DVD player with headphones? Or borrowing a ds off somebody?

Comics with stickers are good as are colouring books.

Good luck!! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now