Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WWYD??? Wedding of a lifetime in Rome, 33 weeks pg, need to fly...

(30 Posts)
petaluma Fri 08-Jul-11 14:32:25

I'm dithering big time. I have been invited to a wedding near Rome on the August bank holiday weekend and therefore need to fly but will be 33 weeks pregnant. The family would completely understand my reasons if I didn't go, but I really do want to attend...plus, it's a wedding of a lifetime - bit of an A lister do, in a castle overlooking a lake, accommodation included etc, etc, plus it will be the last weekend alone with my hubby before no 2 arrives (childcare for ds sorted) It's a 3 day affair but we would only go for the actual wedding itself...BUT, I'm nervous about flying so late in my pregnancy. I've been healthy so far but worried that (like last time) I got extremely big and very uncomfortable in the last trimester. So, even if I got a 'fit to fly' certificate from my doc, I might be so lumbering and huge and have such fat ankles that I may not be in any fit state physically and emotionally to fly!

I could pay for the flights and try and find some travel insurance to cover late cancellation due to pregnancy, but this still doesn't make me any less nervous about travelling at 33 weeks.

What to do? Anyone got experiences of flying so late in pregnancy?

fairymuff Fri 08-Jul-11 15:22:58

Perhaps buy the flights but make sure you have travel insurance if you need to cancel nearer the time. I'd go!

mummymeister Fri 08-Jul-11 16:11:15

Book up intending to go, get the insurance just in case but don't miss out. if you do get to 33 weeks and you still have a little neat bump you will be cursing yourself for having missed out. its not that far away either - go for it and have a fab time together.

HyenaInPetticoats Fri 08-Jul-11 16:22:11

I flew for work until 36 weeks, with high-ish blood pressure. The last time was uncomfortable (though it was amusing when I got up to stretch my legs, caught my arm on the seat and said 'ow' - suddenly there were three by-standers wondering if they ought to start boiling water or something). I wouldn't fly Ryanair (ever, actually, but especially late in pregnancy), spend what you need to go from the most convenient airports at civilized times of day, drink lots, move around as much as you can and make the most of the wedding. As far as I know, there's no reason to believe there's any danger - the worst thing that might happen is you'll be uncomfortable for a couple of hours. Don't like your chances of insurance that will cover a pregnant woman against pregnancy...

petaluma Fri 08-Jul-11 21:24:54

Thanks for your advice. I've just looked into getting travel insurance which covers pregnancy at this stage...and as HyenainPetticoats says...can't find any company which will so far.

Harrumph...just found out it is held in the castle that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes got married in too...sad

kreecherlivesupstairs Sat 09-Jul-11 07:01:24

I'd go as long as you can get insurance. Check which is the closest airport. There are two in Rome about an hour drive away from each other.

lemonandhoney Sat 09-Jul-11 07:14:37

Have you looked at the post office? I think their insurance covers late pregnancy.

PestoCaffeinisto Sat 09-Jul-11 07:57:10

I think you might need to consider alternative method of transport, eg train

as most airlines have restrictions on flying pregnant women in their last trimester.

mimmymouse Sun 10-Jul-11 02:36:53

I took my last flight (for work) from Germany at 32 +6, flying BA. As of Sept last year, BA will take a pregnant woman (single baby -- different for multiples),with a fit to fly cert from GP, up to 36 weeks. I wore compression socks and took my notes!! I was fine though the night before the return flight I had my first Braxton Hicks and that scared the life out of me.

Insurance is the sticking point. most companies will insure you up to the end of 32 weeks.

Good luck!!

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 10-Jul-11 06:50:10

Given all that, I think I would investigate trains. Much more leiusurely.
Good luck living the dolce vita!

BlooCowWonders Sun 10-Jul-11 06:59:31

Depending on where you live in the uk, the train is a great way to get to Italy. Very civilized at the best of times, and so much better when you're in late pregnancy. If you and dh can take your time it'll be a lovely late break for you both.

Hersetta Sun 10-Jul-11 09:21:32

I am 37 weeks today and have flown twice fairly late in this pregnancy. We went to the Maldives for 2 weeks between 30-32 weeks and then went to spain for 6 days when I was 34 weeks. Had no problems apart from swollen ankles after the long haul flight but this disappeared after 24 hrs.

We got my travel insurance through egg - they cover you up to 35 weeks as long as you have a drs letter dated within 5 days of your travel date (which you need for the airline anyway). Didn't cost any more either - in fact their annual policy was cheaper than my renewal quate from the AA.

Hope you go and enjoy every second.

I was also going to suggest you consider alternative travel, such as train. Better for you healthwise, even though it will take longer - take it slowly and stop a couple of times and it might make it a very enjoyable holiday.
Eurostar to Paris and go from there. smile

GastonTheLadybird Sun 10-Jul-11 09:39:16

I think you'll be fine, I flew up to 35 weeks for work and I had no problems at all - quite enjoyed it actually. Buy the best flight class you can afford, it's only 2 and a half hours or so, you'll be able to walk around in the middle of the flight.

I don't think you will get insurance to cover just in case you don't fancy it nearer the time but you will be able to get cover for all the usual stuff and covering you if you went into labour.

petaluma Sun 10-Jul-11 13:11:34

Thanks, I'll definitely check out those insurers.

The train is not an option as it will take too long and only have childcare for a short amount of time.

If I can sort out insurance, I'll def go!

Thanks all smile

nicecupofteaplease Sun 10-Jul-11 19:18:19

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I wouldn't be at all worried about FLYING at 33 weeks, but we went away for a weekend to see friends at 33 weeks and I had my baby, 300 miles from home, with no maternity notes, no spare clothes, no baby clothes, nothing. We were stuck there for a week until we could get a SCBU place nearer home, and he was on SCBU for 4 weeks in total.

It would have been an utter nightmare to be stuck in a foreign country with a premmie baby on SCBU and a toddler left at home with grandma. Sorry to put a downer on things, and I'm sure it's pretty unlikely to happen, but THAT is what I'd be worried about in your circumstances not the 2 hour flight or the being big and ungainly part.

Geordieminx Sun 10-Jul-11 20:16:07

Greenbee insurance (part of JL group) covered me upto 34 weeks

Cleverything Mon 11-Jul-11 14:02:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

petaluma Mon 11-Jul-11 14:28:19

The blimmin' saga continues! Found travel insurance through the Post Office, and then dh came home having spoken to a colleague at work who had a very similar situation to you nicecupofteaplease and is pretty adamant we shouldn't go. The worrier in me tends to agree.

In addition, the bloody flights have gone up massively since I last checked, and we reckon it will cost (with cost of childcare included - neither of us have the type of family who could do it) nearly a grand, even though the accommodation is included in the wedding. I just don't know whether it's worth it...I suppose I just wanted to go to have experienced a 'sleb wedding. I'm just being shallow, because the bride would totally understand if we didnt' go, and if anything bad happened, then I'd never forgive myself.

I need to make a decision and stick to it...but I think if we don't go, dh and I will still book a night away somewhere closer to home.

Geordieminx Mon 11-Jul-11 15:33:01

I would go. grin

Nefret Tue 12-Jul-11 11:14:56

I flew at 34 weeks with no problem but I needed a medical not from my doctor. I travelled on my own too from Turkey.

I would advise you to take your maternity notes and anything you may need just in case. I would definitely go though, it sounds wonderful.

magentastardust Mon 18-Jul-11 12:53:39

Have you decided yet? I would go but totally understand your worries -take your notes and be prepared. It sounds like it would be great -am sure you would have a great time.
Ps if it's the wedding I think it might be are black eyed peas not playing too?

petaluma Thu 21-Jul-11 15:16:59

Hi magentastardust - we decided NOT to go unfortunately. I had a consultant's appointment at the end of last week and there might be possible complications with the pregnancy later on (low placenta and gestational diabetes)so no fit to fly certificate for me. Gah!

Oh well, it wasn't meant to be. I sent the bride and her mum a letter yesterday explaining everything and she text back to say she would send me some cake, bless her!

Black Eyed Peas, you say? Yes, that sounds very much like her - she really likes them. BTW don't believe the press, she is a lovely girl, I've known her and her mum well since she was 15 (was her teacher, hence the lack of opportunity to ever go to something like this again!)

AngryFeet Thu 21-Jul-11 15:37:03

Ooh I just figured out who it is. Any chance I can go in your place? Bet the favours will be awesome ;)

Shame you can't make it but at least you can relax and put your feet up instead of jet setting all over the place smile

Geordieminx Thu 21-Jul-11 16:53:27

Who is it???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now