Talk

Advanced search

Help! Baby with no passport!

(8 Posts)
Huffpot Thu 07-Jul-11 08:43:21

My 11 month doesn't have a passport yet - I've got all the forms and passport application which I was going to send off tomorrow however we got a phonecall from family in the republic of Ireland and an uncle has died in a housefire over night so we need to get over

There's a premium passport service but not for a child's first passport and the weekly service which is a long time

We're in London and were wondering if we took all birth certificates etc if we would be able to travel without a passport for him? We were planning to catch the ferry over

Any help would be appreciated!

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 07-Jul-11 08:48:58

How awful. No idea about the paperwork suggestion. Can you phone the PP office and explain the situation?
IIWY, I would put this in Chat. You'll get more replies.
Good luck.

ChristinedePizan Thu 07-Jul-11 08:52:31

You don't have to have a passport to travel to Ireland from the UK but you need photo ID.

See here

I presume with a baby birth certs etc would be adequate?

So sorry about your uncle

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 07-Jul-11 08:53:56

There. Looks like you are on your way. Good luck.

cloudofpink Thu 07-Jul-11 08:55:46

The passport office may help you out if you contact them. I have just got my baby's first passport at the Glasgow office using the 1 week service - my appointment was on Monday pm and the passport was delivered to me on Weds morning - therefore much quicker than the promised 1 week. I also used paspic.com to get her photo done - photos were delivered within 1 working day of uploading.

worldgonecrazy Thu 07-Jul-11 08:56:53

Phone the Ferry company or Airline (depending on how you are plannig on travelling over). They may be able to help/advise.

bemybebe Thu 07-Jul-11 08:59:08

Under the qualifying circs British Embassies can arrange an Emergency Travel Document in one day. Not sure if it can be done inside the UK or if your situation will qualify.

Snuppeline Thu 07-Jul-11 09:00:34

I also got my dd's first passport within two days using the 1 week service. My dp explained the situation and they were very kind in speeding things up. Its costly though! He was considering going to Cardiff which is where the passport main office is where they can be produced on the day, so if your travelling via Holyhead this may be an option? I think if you call the authorities they will say 1 week but if you go in person they might be able to do better. Good luck and sorry to hear of your uncle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now