Talk

Advanced search

What Debit card to use abroad

(7 Posts)
Wolfgirl Mon 04-Jul-11 19:19:07

Hello, seems Nationwide stopped providing a free debit card abroad last year, so I'm wondering if there is another bank that provides withdrawels for free, would anyone know?

thanks loads in advance. smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Jul-11 19:26:48

There isn't, no.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Mon 04-Jul-11 19:36:16

You could get a Caxton fx card - they do free withdrawals.

Wolfgirl Mon 04-Jul-11 20:55:03

cook.... just checked on Martins money tips, and yes... you do get free withdrawels, but it says not a good exchange rate. I think we might just opt for taking cash with us, although dh is trying to work out whether it is worth paying the extra £1.50 ish per withdrawel if you get a better ex. rater. 6 n 2 3's if you ask me though [girn]

thanks for responding smile

Icoulddoitbetter Mon 04-Jul-11 21:06:39

We have Nationwide accounts and don't get the free withdrawls anymore sad. But I'm sure that DH mentioned that a certain type of Nationwide account still gives you this service. My memory is hazy, and he's not here to ask, but it was something along the lines of a Gold Account. Might be worth investigating?

Wolfgirl Tue 05-Jul-11 19:19:15

Icoulddobetter.... I think any account that offers free withdrawels abroad, now include some penalties... such as you have to have a min of £500 in your account it be operating for min 3 months, or you can a pre paid card but get a much lesser rate etc.

No worries now, we will take cash and be done with it confused

amicissima Tue 05-Jul-11 21:13:13

Last time I was abroad (USA) I needed money and took some out of an ATM with my normal debit card. I braced myself for the charges, but the exchange rate was so much better than changing cash (the rates hadn't changed) that I was slightly better off using the card than taking cash.

It's very difficult to find out the exact charges and rates though, but probably with a mixture of cash and debit card you won't lose out significantly.

I got a Santander Zero credit card, however, and used it the same day as DH used his credit card (can't remember which bank - a normal UK one) and the rate I got was heaps better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now