Talk

Advanced search

What Debit card to use abroad

(7 Posts)
Wolfgirl Mon 04-Jul-11 19:19:07

Hello, seems Nationwide stopped providing a free debit card abroad last year, so I'm wondering if there is another bank that provides withdrawels for free, would anyone know?

thanks loads in advance. smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Jul-11 19:26:48

There isn't, no.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Mon 04-Jul-11 19:36:16

You could get a Caxton fx card - they do free withdrawals.

Wolfgirl Mon 04-Jul-11 20:55:03

cook.... just checked on Martins money tips, and yes... you do get free withdrawels, but it says not a good exchange rate. I think we might just opt for taking cash with us, although dh is trying to work out whether it is worth paying the extra £1.50 ish per withdrawel if you get a better ex. rater. 6 n 2 3's if you ask me though [girn]

thanks for responding smile

Icoulddoitbetter Mon 04-Jul-11 21:06:39

We have Nationwide accounts and don't get the free withdrawls anymore sad. But I'm sure that DH mentioned that a certain type of Nationwide account still gives you this service. My memory is hazy, and he's not here to ask, but it was something along the lines of a Gold Account. Might be worth investigating?

Wolfgirl Tue 05-Jul-11 19:19:15

Icoulddobetter.... I think any account that offers free withdrawels abroad, now include some penalties... such as you have to have a min of £500 in your account it be operating for min 3 months, or you can a pre paid card but get a much lesser rate etc.

No worries now, we will take cash and be done with it confused

amicissima Tue 05-Jul-11 21:13:13

Last time I was abroad (USA) I needed money and took some out of an ATM with my normal debit card. I braced myself for the charges, but the exchange rate was so much better than changing cash (the rates hadn't changed) that I was slightly better off using the card than taking cash.

It's very difficult to find out the exact charges and rates though, but probably with a mixture of cash and debit card you won't lose out significantly.

I got a Santander Zero credit card, however, and used it the same day as DH used his credit card (can't remember which bank - a normal UK one) and the rate I got was heaps better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: