Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

travelling to Dubai / prescription contraceptive pill

(6 Posts)
June2009 Thu 30-Jun-11 11:31:58

Heya!

Does anyone know whether I need the prescription from the doctor for my contraceptive pill to go to Dubai?
I have the other side of the slip for re-ordering which I assumed was ok to bring with.

??

I've been trying to find the page where there is a ilst of the "allowed" prescription drugs (does the pill fall into that category?)

thanks!

girlywhirly Fri 01-Jul-11 12:54:11

I would have thought the repeat form would be enough, if the packaging of the pills has a prescription label on it with your name on. Tablets in blister packs never attract much attention. I always take my blood pressure and cholesterol lowering meds in my hand luggage, with the repeat slip, in case they lose my hold luggage. They never show up as suspicious on the x-ray machine at security. I think there was a thread once about codeine not being allowed in some country or other, so you're right to check.

I would suggest you alter the time you take your pill to allow for the time zone difference, especially if taking progesterone only pills where they must be taken at the same time every day to be effective.

savoycabbage Fri 01-Jul-11 13:14:20

We had to get a prescription for piriton for our seven year old who is allergic to peanuts and we were just changing planes there.

girlywhirly Fri 01-Jul-11 13:42:34

I think from what I've read, any medicine which needs a prescription (not available over the counter) is considered a controlled drug in UAE. It's possible you might need a proper prescription from the GP and not just the repeat form. The pills must be in their original packaging and labelled, and you must not take more than 3 months supply. The name on the label must match that on your ticket.

Speak to the Dr surgery and ask their advice, in case they need to supply a covering letter.

wordsonapage Fri 01-Jul-11 13:44:47

I live in Dubai and have brought over 6 months worth without a second thought.

wordsonapage Fri 01-Jul-11 13:49:17

You can buy the pill over the counter as well ( at least my local 24 hour pharmacy does)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now