Talk

Advanced search

What's the best airline to fly to Oz with 2 small children (3 & 5)?

(18 Posts)
vigglewiggle Tue 28-Jun-11 17:55:24

This is courtesy of DH's company so not sure how much influence i'll have but I'd like to know which has the best facilities for the little ones.

So far BA and Emirates have been mentioned.

Thanks smile

joshandjamie Tue 28-Jun-11 18:34:48

Air new Zealand was great with my kids when we flew

Sophiemooboo Tue 28-Jun-11 20:17:57

stay well clear of any charter or lowcost carrier, stick with the big airlines as in case of delays or cancellation you will be looked after. BA, Qantas, Singapore and Emirates are all good!

vigglewiggle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:12:54

Thank you.

joshandjamie I haven't seen any mention of Air New Zealand flights, but I'll have a look.

EldonAve Tue 28-Jun-11 21:14:12

Quantas were fine for us

mushroomsandolives Tue 28-Jun-11 21:17:14

Quantas, BA or Virgin. DO NOT USE MALAYSIAN AIRWAYS (yes, I do mean to shout). Terrible, awful journey with them.

Avantia Tue 28-Jun-11 21:19:49

Singapore Airlines . Did the trip when DS was 1 yr old . Very helpful and friendly - just did the tow
hour stop atSingapore and back on a plane to Sidney.

vigglewiggle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:21:15

Thank you both.

His company has offered a Premium Economy flight with BA which is sounding attractive.

vigglewiggle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:22:41

Someone I know (who is Australian) said Singapore Airlines were the best he'd flown with, but he doesn't have young children.

PatriciaHolm Tue 28-Jun-11 22:17:28

Virgin Upper Class were great with ours (9 months, 2.5) to Oz at that age.

vigglewiggle Tue 28-Jun-11 23:00:51

I don't think anyone would let me into the "Upper Class" wink grin

Aftereightsaremine Wed 29-Jun-11 06:37:25

Flew business class with Singapore they were fab pre booked kids meals they loved playing with their seats & kept putting them into sleep position. Also Singapore airport was so huge they were able to run around & let off steam. Mine were 8 & 4 years at the time.

papooshka Wed 29-Jun-11 06:44:53

Definitely Singapore Airlines, only 1 stop in Singapore and like someone else said Changi Airport (Singapore) is huge and got lots to do during the stopover. The crew are fantastic and very helpful. Wouldn't touch BA with a bargepole even if it was Premium Economy to be honest, rude staff, I hate them!!

thestringcheeseincident Wed 29-Jun-11 07:06:51

Singapore definitely. I've done the flight with them and dc about 5 times. The service is outstanding. And they have lovely newish planes. Have flown ba, qantas, emirates, etihad, virgin and Thai to Australia as well, singers far superior.

Avantia Wed 29-Jun-11 07:09:04

Sorry another no for BA here . Have flown with them long haul and bloody awful - was cattle class though.

Singapore airport is fab , although haven't been there for some time - so must be even better now !

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 29-Jun-11 07:45:49

vigglewiggle,

BA World traveller Plus to Australia would be alright if your H's company were to offer no other alternative to yourselves.

Would break up the journey if you can by stopping overnight at Singapore either on the outbound or return; travelling to Aus will involve the best part of spending nearly 2 days on the plane.

vigglewiggle Wed 29-Jun-11 12:06:57

They've found us a Singapore Airlines flight smile.

Thanks everyone.

vigglewiggle Thu 30-Jun-11 16:53:16

It turned out that Singapore Airlines was fully booked! I was gutted after hearing such rave reviews on here. Anyway - every cloud has a silver lining - we are flying Air New Zealand Business Class! It's a bloody long flight, but hopefully they will ease the pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now