Talk

Advanced search

Questions about travelling on Eurostar and trains within France

(4 Posts)
Linnet Tue 28-Jun-11 00:09:00

Dh and I are travelling to France on the Eurostar and local French trains later in the year and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone may have the answers to.

Once we go through the ticket/check in area at St Pancras are there any shops to buy drinks or food from or should we buy them before we go through that part?

If buying food on the train en route to Paris is it very expensive?

After arriving in Paris we are connecting to go to Brittany. Does anyone know if the local trains travelling between Paris and other major cities will sell food/drinks?

Thanks

ifaistos Tue 28-Jun-11 00:29:17

There are a couple of cafes once inside the eurostar terminal at st pancras but choice is limited. Definitely buy food and drink at the station before going through, you have loads of choice incl. M&s, pret, pain quotidien and lots of other stuff. Food on eurostar is disgusting and massively overpriced. Some french trains have food, some don't. It depends on the kind of train. It's never very nice though ime.

Lizcat Tue 28-Jun-11 13:47:31

Trains in France really depend on whether you are travelling on SNCF (localish trains) or TGV/Thalys (high speed long distance). SNCF tend not to have food, TGV/ Thalys tend to have food. Have you already booked your tickets? As changing in Lille you have no need to change stations to get on the TGV, whilst in Paris you have to get from the Gare du Nord to the Gare de Monparnasse.

Linnet Wed 29-Jun-11 18:42:54

Thanks that's exactly what I needed to know.

Sadly we couldn't go through Lille as the connections didn't work for us so we're having to go through Paris and change for Montparnasse. We think we've got that sussed so hopefully it should go ok.

I was concerned about the food because we've travelled to France before by plane and due to delays and connections etc we had nothing to eat from when we got up in the morning until we finally arrived over 12 hours later since they don't serve food on planes anymore.
I'm determined that this time I will arrive in France having had food on the way there.

thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now