Talk

Advanced search

It looks like I am flying to Australia on my own with DD's (3&5). Anyone got any tips - apart from "Don't do it" ?

(11 Posts)
vigglewiggle Mon 27-Jun-11 17:10:58

Not sure which Airline yet, but what kind of entertainments can I expect?

How helpful will airline staff be?

Any good gadgets I could take?

I'm dreading it and need to feel prepared grin.

Enraha Mon 27-Jun-11 17:15:10

Depends who you fly with.

But in general: Movies, movies, movies. Supplemented by DVD player/ipod. Some kind of airline goody bag. Nice stretching legs interlude wherever you stop over. Something to tire them out before you make the journey.

At least with 3 of you, there's a good chance of sitting together without some odd bod on the same bank of seats.

LadyPeterWimsey Mon 27-Jun-11 17:21:55

Hmmm. Don't do it.

If your kids are screen addicts fond of television like mine, then make sure you choose an airline which flies planes with individual screens (I thnk almost everyone does now). We also had a portable DVD player for a longish stopover.

Snacks for hungry bits. Mine didn't really like the airline food so I was glad I had a stash, but make sure you bin the remains before you go through customs.

Lots of new toys for tricky moments - I bought my boys (4 and 6) little transformers which they loved. Nothing too small or with lots of little bits as they get lost down seats. Those magic doodle boards can better better than crayons as you can't lose the pen.

My guess about help from cabin crew is that you get what you pay for in terms of attentiveness but if it is a full flight that may not be much even if you pay top dollar.

vigglewiggle Mon 27-Jun-11 17:24:13

Thank you.

Any good places for a stop-over? Not planning to stay, just wondering if there are any recommended airports with good facilities to tire out children wink.

Grabaspoon Mon 27-Jun-11 17:28:28

A friends of mine flew with a 18 month and 3 year old and she said the best thing she did was wrap up small toys from pound land and let the children choose one every so often - so they had the perk of a new toy/snack.

skirmish Mon 27-Jun-11 17:28:33

If you stop in Singapore, they have an indoor pool (you can hire towels for a couple of quid), also have an outside rooftop garden.

vigglewiggle Mon 27-Jun-11 17:31:26

Great tips - the toy thing sounds just up their street and they love swimming - thanks. smile

Enraha Mon 27-Jun-11 17:32:41

Singapore airport is huge and spacious for trolley-races and general mucking around - can't remember if there's anything child-specific, other than big bookshops-cum-toyshops. Kuala Lumpur is quieter and not hugely interesting but has an odd outdoor (courtyard) jungle in the middle of the international terminal.

skirmish Mon 27-Jun-11 17:33:26

The swimming thing is brilliant- they burn off all the energy and will hopefully sleep on the next flight!!

Sophiemooboo Tue 28-Jun-11 20:16:10

Bring pyjamas and do your normal bedtime routine when you want them to go to sleep, teeth story milk etc. Bring their own blankie or small flat pillow to snuggle up to (IKEA's infant pillows are great they are almost flat and light but folded in half they are perfect for sleeping). Bring lots of snacks and things to do ( the cbeebies magazines etc with lots of stickers are good for entertainment ). Dont forget yourself, bring a big bottle of water ( bought airside) and ask the cabin crew to fill it up for you when it gets low, also bring crisps etc for you to nibble on as there is very little to eat on a long flight. Bring your flightsocks and a jumper or hoodie as it gets cold. If you have space bring a small hot water bottle and get the crew to fill it for you and you will be snug as a bug!

vigglewiggle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:15:33

Great ideas, thanks.

I'm sweltering here at the moment and can't imagine being cold smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now