Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Beziers to St Malo - possible in a day with 3dc??!

(12 Posts)
greedygoose Fri 24-Jun-11 12:48:26

Ok just need to know if this is possible or crazy...
Have ferry from St Malo at 18.00, could we leave Beziers early doors and make it? Says 444 miles, I reckon could take us 10 hours with stops. Am thinking just book somewhere to sleep over but Im sure someone will know/have done it!

crockydoodle Fri 24-Jun-11 15:42:52

Have you looked at aa routeplanner? It says 10 hrs 48 mins

GnomeDePlume Fri 24-Jun-11 15:47:00

According to my route planner you are looking at round 8 1/2 hours driving. In theory you have the time but this leaves no contingency. You will be driving up through holiday traffic. Even on the motorways this can grind along terribly slowly sometimes. We have done that sort of drive heading to Calais but there there are multiple crossings so miss one there will be another. What's the option if you are late?

In your shoes I would look to get most of the way on the first day. On the second day leave a short drive and look to have a relaxing day before your crossing.

Portofino Sat 25-Jun-11 19:38:33

Agree with Gnome. Definitely stop over night. I never plan any day where the driving time is more than 6/7 hours. You just don't know what will happen. One little accident can hold you up for ages.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Sat 25-Jun-11 19:55:37

Agree with the others! St Malo is a lovely place - why not drive till about 3 hours away , stay ovenight, set out @ 8am and spend 11-6 in St Malo? (Am also very interested - is this an overnight crossing? We always do overnight Porstmouth to St Malo, but because the crossing back is daytime, do return crossing via Caen - is ovenight back now available from St Malo????? if so, we'll be with you grin)

Badpups Sat 25-Jun-11 22:07:31

You can definitely do it but would have to leave early in the morning.
We regularly travel from Beziers to Calais in a day (and I've also got 3 young DCs and 3 dogs!) and have done this at all times of year and in all weather conditions. We leave around 6 - 7am and usually get to Calais in around 11 -12 hours with 3 shortish stops. St Malo is slightly closer.

However, if you're planning to travel on the weekend just before the French schools go back (possibly 3rd weekend in August but I'm sure someone else will know for certain) then the roads will be absolutely packed so beware.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sat 25-Jun-11 22:14:26

You'd be mad to do this.

greedygoose Sun 26-Jun-11 21:03:04

Thank you all - you confirmed what I thought in my mind was a crazy plan!
I think will do what Mrs Guy suggests and spend a bit of time in St Malo. Gutted if we missed the ferry! Any suggestions of where to stay 3ish hours away while I am here then?

A2363 Sun 26-Jun-11 21:24:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GnomeDePlume Sun 26-Jun-11 22:08:31

Beziers - Nantes = 7 hours drive

Nantes - St Malo = 2 1/2 drive

Hotels in Nantes - you have different options. You said you have 3 DCs but didnt mention their ages. We have 3 DCs aged 11, 12 & 15.

If we just want an overnight stop without any culture then we book a family room and a twin room with www.hotel-bb.com. We book the extra twin room as the family room is for 4 so we raid the twin room for bedding etc. This way we can all have breakfast (very good value). There are 6 BB hotels in Nantes. Many of them have a chain restaurant nearby.

If we wat a bit of culture then we look at www.logisdefrance.com. With these you need to look around a bit to find rooms for 5 but they do exist.

So, you pays your money and takes your choice! Do book early, we often see sad looking families going from hotel to hotel. The one time we didnt book we ended up sleeping in the car

GnomeDePlume Sun 26-Jun-11 22:09:42

Sorry with links

Beziers - Nantes = 7 hours drive

Nantes - St Malo = 2 1/2 drive

Hotes in Nantes - you have different options. You said you have 3 DCs but didnt mention their ages. We have 3 DCs aged 11, 12 & 15.

If we just want an overnight stop without any culture then we book a family room and a twin room with www.hotel-bb.com. We book the extra twin room as the family room is for 4 so we raid the twin room for bedding etc. This way we can all have breakfast (very good value). There are 6 BB hotels in Nantes. Many of them have a chain restaurant nearby.

If we wat a bit of culture then we look at www.logisdefrance.com. With these you need to look around a bit to find rooms for 5 but they do exist.

So, you pays your money and takes your choice! Do book early, we often see sad looking families going from hotel to hotel. The one time we didnt book we ended up sleeping in the car

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sun 26-Jun-11 22:54:02

Or you could plan an overnight in st malo so it doesn't matter what time you get there the might before. St malo is a nice town to spend a few hours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now