Talk

Advanced search

Travelling Without a Credit Card!

(7 Posts)
littlemum007 Thu 23-Jun-11 08:36:55

Single parent family with no credit card may be offered a holiday at huge discount to Maldives or China. Havent had a holiday in years. The problem is I don't have a credit card (poor credit unfortunately). I do have a Visa Debit Card. I notice that some hotels ask for deposits for various things (£500) and they ask for a credit card - can anyone advise whether debits cards are just as acceptable as credit cards. I wouldn't want to get stuck!

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 23-Jun-11 08:38:00

Why don't you e-mail the hotel and ask them?

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 23-Jun-11 08:39:02

IME hotels take an imprint of your card, not money, just in case you disappear without paying your bill. So I can't see why a debit card wouldn't be just as acceptable.

(Although it may work differently in those countries - sadly I have never been to either - lucky you!)

June2009 Mon 27-Jun-11 13:32:05

I remember going to france and trying to rent a car without a credit card (had debit card with me) and they wouldn't do it for me.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 28-Jun-11 08:58:29

What sort of things need a 500 pound deposit? I would email them and ask if they'll accept cash.
We had a hell of a job hiring a car in Spain with a Thai credit card so goodness knows how you'll get on in China.
would your bank give you one for show if you explain it to them?

littlemum007 Wed 29-Jun-11 10:40:52

unfortunately not, I have a poor credit rating

amicissima Thu 30-Jun-11 22:30:42

In the USA the hotels tend to 'block' a sum on your credit card, which is generally more than the stay will cost. When you check out they charge the card and release the block. I don't know if hotels elsewhere do the same, but if they do, that's why they ask for a credit card.

Best to check direct with the hotel.

You can get pre-paid credit cards (have a look here), which don't need a credit rating, but I don't know if the blocking thing would work with them. Possibly the provider would be able to advise, or, again, the hotel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now