Talk

Advanced search

South of France without a car

(5 Posts)
utahforever Wed 22-Jun-11 17:36:28

I am looking for somewhere next May, that has easy access by train and lots of things within walking distance of an 8 year old.

I need to have easy walking access to a grocery shop and sandy beach.

Things I would like are : mini golf, aquarium, mountains, climbing frame, essentially European atmosphere.

We have holidayed quite happily for 2 years in Le Grau du Roi (perfect!) but the child wishes to go somewhere else.

I welcome all suggestions. I have looked at Argeles, but I'm not sure or Nice - but the beach is pebbly and we are not really swish people smile

Thanks

muminlondon Thu 23-Jun-11 00:36:40

How about Valras Plage or Serignan near Beziers? Keycamp and Siblu do holidays in a couple of resorts round there. Beziers is 4 hours from Paris by TGV, unless you want to risk Ryannair, and you can get a taxi from the station to campsites near sandy beaches.

Portofino Thu 23-Jun-11 09:34:18

With going to Vias Plage with Siblu - La Carabasse. Most things on your list are within walking distance and Cap D'agde is doable by bus, or within a reasonable bike ride along the Canal du Midi. It's smaller/quieter than the Grau de Roi, but there is a also a big fun fair.

Also Antibes/Juan Les Pins are lovely. I particularly love the beach at JLP. It is really easy to get about as the train runs all the way along the coast, so you could visit Cannes, Nice, Monaco etc.

GnomeDePlume Thu 23-Jun-11 12:07:33

How about Frejus? I know that my mum was able to take the train from Nice Airport to Frejus.

IndridCold Tue 28-Jun-11 09:19:23

Second Antibes. There is an amazing water park there, the Oceanographic museum in Monaco is wonderful too. As portofino says there is a very good train service all along the coast and an excellent bus service inland too. You can go miles for a fare of 1 euro!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now