Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere to wait (for free) near Heathrow

(19 Posts)
tyler80 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:00:04

Picking the OH up from Heathrow at the weekend, does anyone know of anywhere I can hang round (without arousing suspicion) that's no more than 20 minutes away? Want to be able to wait for a call from OH saying he's at baggage claim and then just drive and pick up [tightwad emoticon]

LunaticFringe Wed 22-Jun-11 10:10:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FriskyBivalves Wed 22-Jun-11 10:10:52

drive-thru mcdonalds next to renaissance hotel on A4 Bath Road?? You can even treat to yourself to a happy meal while you wait grin They had parking spaces as well last time i went and is no more than 10mins away if not rush hour. Then more like 15mins.

tyler80 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:11:08

Thanks I'll check out Colnbrook, forgot to mention picking up from Terminal 5 if that makes any difference.

LunaticFringe Wed 22-Jun-11 12:23:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMOTdibbler Wed 22-Jun-11 12:25:49

If its only a half hour wait, the McDonalds is great

pengymum Wed 22-Jun-11 12:28:16

There are a few large Tesco stores around the Heathrow area as well if you fancy doing your shopping while you wait? Also have cafe areas with loos if you need them!

tyler80 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:38:31

I'm hoping it won't be a long wait, it's a transatlantic flight so he'll be setting off before I do so I can set off a bit later if I see his flight took off late etc.

Coffee in McDonalds might be the easiest option.

Agree with finding a McDonalds. I am sure there is one on the A4 running behind Heathrow somewhere... has a 1h maximum limit though I am sure. Some pubs in Colnbrook too.

Dontbugmemalone Wed 22-Jun-11 12:44:05

Hi, sorry to crash the thread.

I was going to post a similar thread about Stansted airport. I have 8 hours to waste...

Does anyone have any ideas..?

Thanks smile

400 Bath Road, Hillingdon, Greater London UB7 0EA

google map that, next to Total garage. Not sure how good for T5 but DH used to park up there when he was a chauffeur doing airport runs. Make sure you buy something though, they are tight as an ducks arse about dodgy parking!

mrsjohnsimm Wed 22-Jun-11 12:46:16

There are motorway services quite close to Stansted, IIRC.

Dontbugmemalone Wed 22-Jun-11 12:50:37

Ok, will have a look. Thank you smile

mrsjohnsimm Wed 22-Jun-11 12:51:27

Ah, although with eight hours to waste services probably not such a brilliant plan. Lakeside for a few hours (could see a couple of films) then to Stansted services, possibly?

CMOTdibbler Wed 22-Jun-11 12:56:24

With 8 hours, I'd def go to Lakeside/Bluewater

tyler80 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:05:55

Bluewater's still a fair distance from Stansted, maybe an option if you're coming from that direction anyway. I'd spend the day (presuming it's 8 hours of daytime) in Cambridge as that would minimise the driving for me.

Dontbugmemalone Wed 22-Jun-11 13:30:24

Thanks for the responses.
I'll be getting a coach to Stansted airport that should arrive at 12.50am and my flight isn't 7.30 so I don't think Bluewater is an option sadly.

CMOTdibbler Wed 22-Jun-11 13:35:12

I think in that case, I'd see if I could get a day room at the Holiday Inn express at the airport to get some sleep

Wigeon Wed 22-Jun-11 13:36:12

For Heathrow, if it's a nice day you could go to the lovely parks / grounds at Savill Gardens or round Virginia Water www.theroyallandscape.co.uk/ - £8.50 to wander round the Savill Garden itself, or free to go to their lovely cafe / shop, and free to walk round the huge Royal Landscape gardens. Park in the Savill Garden car park (does cost to park though). There's also a pub on the corner of Wick Road and Wick Lane (look on the map on the link above) called the Balliwick in case you fancy hanging out there.

All about 20 mins from Heathrow and a very pleasant way of wasting some time (was there just yesterday)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now