Talk

Advanced search

Good service station advice!

(6 Posts)
jlbilling Sat 18-Jun-11 14:33:21

Im travelling from high wycombe to cornwall next month and need to start going more to visit family etc. So i need to find some good stops on the way down so that the trip doesnt fill me with dread! Anyone stopped anywhere good? doesnt have to be on the motorway.
ive read that leigh delemere and exeter have playgrounds but i dont remember seeing them when ive been before, so not sure if they are still there?
Any help would be great xx

bagelmonkey Sat 18-Jun-11 18:52:55

Check out www.thegardencentregroup.co.uk

There are garden centres with restaurants and child play area as alternatives to motorway services

If you want a long stop at Exeter with kids, crealy is not far from the motorway.

wearymum200 Sat 18-Jun-11 22:40:11

Motorways run out at exeter, after that services are little chef etc. Best avoided IMO. depends which bit of Cornwall you're going to. If north, then Atlantic village at Bideford was a good stop for us (when heading down North cornish coast). Otherwise try Trago mills (Newton Abbot or Liskeard)
Or National Trust properties (lots to choose from; Dyrham park is just off motorway near Bath for a 1st stop, loads of gardens in Devon/ Cornwall)

Bunbaker Sun 19-Jun-11 09:03:13

Exeter service station is always mega busy because it is the last motorway service station and everyone stops there. I would do a picnic lunch and use the services for petrol and loo stops only. There are a few stops just off the A30 not far after Exeter, but I can't bring them to mind just yet.

bagelmonkey Sun 19-Jun-11 14:27:01

If you need petrol on the M5 there's a sainsburys just off the motorway at junction 25. Far cheaper than the service stations.

jlbilling Mon 20-Jun-11 01:04:55

Thanks. I can make it the whole way on 1 tank so luckily thats not a problem. i'll take my own food, I just need some good things to do on the way down. I'll definately try the garden centre group though, sounds good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now