Talk

Advanced search

Visa for baby?

(7 Posts)
babynelly2010 Thu 16-Jun-11 19:40:31

Hello,
We are from US and our baby was born in the UK while we are here as my husband is a student.
We have american passport and have been planning a trip to america in a about a week. We just realized that our daughter does not have a dependant visa but she may need one....
One of the visa advisers said that we might able to come back to UK with just a US passport and her birth certificate. I was thinking to buy me and her a return ticket in 6 months as well because US citizens can stay in UK as tourist up to 6 months so she will not need a visa.
Does anyone have experience with this? I have no time to get a visa, will we be in trouble on our way back?

Thanks!

Thistledew Thu 16-Jun-11 19:57:00

It is not a good idea to travel on visit visas if you are really planning on doing anything than come for a holiday. If immigration consider that you have not been honest when declaring your intentions - ie. Getting a visit visa when in fact you intend to remain as a temporary resident, they can refuse your application and it can have consequences for subsequent applications you make.

If you are here on a dependant visa, your DD will need one too. Some firms of solicitors have Pre-booked slots at the UK Border Agency offices where you can make a same-day application. It costs a little more but would get things sorted before you leave.

laraeo Fri 17-Jun-11 03:31:35

I agree with Thistledew. Our son was born in the UK while we were there on an exchange scheme with my husband's work. We got him a US passport as soon as we had a SSN for him and as soon as we got the passport, we applied for the relevant visa. Not to sound mean, but unless it's an emergency, if you had enough time to get your DD a passport, you should have also planned to get her the Visa. I know they're expensive but it's worth it to know you've done things properly and not to worry about future immigration issues.

babynelly2010 Fri 17-Jun-11 08:55:27

Hello,
Thank you all for your input.
I spoke with immigration, they told me that dd can leave and come back with a return ticket. We will return to US in September and apply for the dependant visa then. In terms of my intention and honesty, I have always been honest with immigration that is why I want to be up front with them and do things right. My daughter was born just this year, she is still a newbee, there was no time to get her visa as well and we are going for a very important event... I'll let you know if we have any problems... once we return... if we return smile

Thistledew Fri 17-Jun-11 09:40:15

Unless you or your husband are British or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK then your daughter will need a visa to re-enter the UK. It is possible that immigration do bend the rules for very young babies, but you should bear in mind that you will be breaching the immigration rules. Sadly, it is not at all unknown for UKBA staff at the public enquiry office to give out incorrect advice

If you do decide to take a risk take the original of her long- form birth certificate with you.

Thistledew Fri 17-Jun-11 09:45:37

Sorry- just re-read your post and it seems that you will be applying for a visa for her from America, which should be fine. Check what documentation you will need for the application now, as the rules are very strict, and you need to ensure you have three months evidence that you can meet the financial requirements. Bear in mind you will need original documents such as bank statements and they must not be more than one month old when you make the application.

laraeo Sat 18-Jun-11 02:43:25

I hope it all works out for you but I'd still be wary of trying to go without the visa. We had DS's passport done when he was 4 months old and the visa immediately after - it was quite a sight trying to get the photos correct. I travelled back to the States with him at 10 months. Make sure tou have the correct British photo requirements for the visa. They are different from US passport photos. When I had my visa done, it got kicked back because they wouldn't accept the photos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now