Talk

Advanced search

Mexico , whats it like and wheres the best place to go ............

(5 Posts)
mel38 Wed 15-Jun-11 17:39:10

We are looking to go to mexico for my 40th in april next year, we are a family of 4 ,2 adults and 2 children aged 8 and nearly 4 when we go . Does anybody know of the best places to go and stay please

Thankyou
Melx

SaggyHairyArse Fri 17-Jun-11 12:11:29

I stayed at the Iberostar on Cozumel but we transferred to the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar just because the opportunity came up. It was lovely on Cozumel, we went on a 4 x 4 tour of the island and went snorkelling every day but the Paraiso del Mar was a far better resort for families.

It was quite a big complex with lots of activities for families/children but it wasn't too busy, the beach was gorgeous with an old 'pier' that the pelicans perched on to survey for fish. It had a lovely pool area and there was entertainment in the evening if you wanted it. It was also much closer to visit Xcaret and Chichen Itza (sp) etc.

We went swimming with dolphins too which was expensive and my kids were too young, plus I wouldn't take them to do that now having watched The Cove but generally speaking it was a lovely holiday where there was lots to do onsite and enough nearby for trips etc.

SaggyHairyArse Fri 17-Jun-11 12:12:23

PS. Some areas of Mexico are not that safe to travel independantly. We stuck to the coastal tourist area because we had young kids with us.

Alibobster Sun 19-Jun-11 22:53:14

Mel
I'm just back from my 3rd trip to Mexico with dh and ds (4). We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan, Playacar. It's a gated community and 30 mins from Playa Del Carmen. It's a fantastic hotel with it's very own jungle in the middle! The wildlife is spectacular and the kids will love it. It's a very family friendly hotel and I always feel safe there. Would highly recommend

Sushiqueen Tue 21-Jun-11 13:28:31

We have also stayed in Playacar and had a great time. Walked into Playa del Carmen through there was a bus. You can also get a ferry over to Cozumel if you want.

We did Xcaret - just got a taxi there and it was cheaper than an organised tour. Gave you an insite into a lot of the culture and loved the snorkelling through the caves and the swimming with Dolphins. The swim there is very controlled. We weren't allowed to hang onto the Dolphins fins etc. Also discovered that if you stayed apart from most of the other people in the water, you had more dolphins come up to you.

the hotels are geared towards Americans so the rooms are pretty large and the aircon etc is excellent. Cocktails are pretty good as well smile

Will get back one day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now