Talk

Advanced search

E111 health cards - watch the expiry dates

(9 Posts)
Beaaware Wed 08-Jun-11 22:53:32

Suddenly noticed that my family E111 cards had recently expired, they only last for 5 years, so if you are planning to go away ensure your cards are upto date as it will take at least 2 weeks to receive new ones, or you can ring the helpline for more advice.

boxoftricks Wed 08-Jun-11 22:57:48

ahh i got caught out on this recently! although my travel insurance covered it so was fine.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 09-Jun-11 07:17:27

The E111 cards were replaced in 2006 by the EHIC cards.

Would not rely on the EHIC card alone for travel; have adequate travel insurance cover as well.

Wallace Thu 09-Jun-11 07:27:59

Yes, please please get travel insurance too.

My ds1 had a bad accident in Spain and the EHIC would only have covered treatment in the government hospital which was full and not very good.

Travel insurance got us into a private hospital and more importantly got us home!

dreamingofsun Thu 09-Jun-11 19:59:48

beaaware thanks big time. ours had expired a couple of months ago and i hadn't realised. just in time to renew for school hols

Putthatbookdown Thu 09-Jun-11 20:22:51

I agree with WALLACE; one of us was ill abroad -you do not realise the expenses involved ON TOP OF the medical stuff Our insurance covered rebooking of flights, accommodation for a person to stay with the ill party, a nurse on the flight home etc

Graciescotland Thu 09-Jun-11 20:25:32

five years, bollocks, thought it was ten, must renew...

Wallace Thu 09-Jun-11 20:46:38

Yes that's right - my hotel was paid for the extra week we were there.

Best £14.38 I ever spent was that travel insurance smile

stleger Thu 09-Jun-11 20:54:46

In Ireland you can get (online) an emergency certificate if your card has expired. (I got one for dd1 - our family's cards all expired in different months).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now