Talk

Advanced search

Where would you go for weekend without the kids?

(19 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 08-Jun-11 20:13:08

My 40th is coming up early next year and (childcare permitting) dh and I are going to try to get away for a weekend by ourselves smile

Not sure where to go though. Dh suggested Barcelona which sounds lovely but I don't know what it will be like in January. And I'm slightly worried about going abroad without the kids. In the UK, I've thought of Babington House which looks fab with probably a fair bit to do in the area.

Any other suggestions?

crispyseaweed Wed 08-Jun-11 20:45:59

How about Venice?

Its wonderful and so unique.
Its a place for grown up I think , seeing all the amazing building, and areas of Venice. Not a place for kids really.. unless they are 10 plus years.
Or..how about London... nice Hotel and a Play /Musical/Theatre?
Or Paris.... ??? Its fabulous too...

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Wed 08-Jun-11 20:51:54

Prague - we went in the winter and it was lovely
London
Bath
Edinburgh (when I'm rich I want to go to The Witchery)
Stratford Upon Avon - Alveston Manor is nice

Dancergirl Wed 08-Jun-11 20:57:19

Venice sounds lovely and I've never been!

We actually live in the London suburbs so a weekend there wouldn't seem like a treat!

Would it worry you though, flying with dh without the kids...?

chrisonabike Wed 08-Jun-11 20:59:24

Babington is Bloody Marvellous. or Cowley Manor. Florence, if you want to go further afield. envy

GnomeDePlume Wed 08-Jun-11 22:02:31

We went to Beaune - lovely place, lots of great restaurants and not too much sightseeing so leaves time for each other!

zanni Wed 08-Jun-11 22:14:11

I'd certainly agree with those who've suggested Venice (cheap to get to but bit pricey when you're there) or Barcelona (could recommend great hotel if necs) for a Gaudi fest. Nearer to home I'd go for Bath (we stayed in gorgeous apartment for 2 nights, cheaper than hotel but still central). The Lakes are lovely, but perhaps not in January!

If I had the chance of a weekend getaway in Jan I'd definitely escape the British winter.

Re the flying, statistically you've got far much chance of the worst happening in a car than on a plane. Don't worry and seize the opportunity for a getaway. You're lucky - enjoy!

weetabox Wed 08-Jun-11 23:16:32

Barcelona is lovely in January - google Three Kings Parade, 5th January 2012. January weather can be like a UK spring day at around 10°C to 13°C. The city bus routes are ideal for getting around. we stayed in Plaza Castella 1 and used feelbarcelona.com back in 2005. Nice to see they are still around, locally run, office located in Barcelona. This was an ideal location walkable to everything, so if you find something near this one, you'll have a great time.

justonemorethen Mon 13-Jun-11 21:38:43

Definately second (or third) Barcelona. Done it 4 times with child (including Dec and Feb ) and childless the fifth time in April.
Fab without the children!!! Best bit is that it stays open sooo late. You really get value out of a weekend. Was cold in bits but sunny and one evening it was warm enough in just shirtsleeves.

justonemorethen Mon 13-Jun-11 21:42:13

Did Venice in Jan year before last. Was bitterly cold (although bright) and basically was a bit of a grown iup theme park. No one does anything there any more that isn't linked to tourism. Doesn't feel like a real city. Buildings are lovely but tourist traps really. Still you must see it once I suppose.To me that's a good one to do with children. Also it is bloody expensive.

notnowImreading Sat 18-Jun-11 18:15:43

We had an absolutely lovely weekend at The George in Rye - rooms cost about £135 per night and upwards, so dear, but not as dear as Babington House. Lots to look at in an old-fashioned English famous-five style of countryside and seaside.

LittleBlueBoat Sat 18-Jun-11 18:19:07

Anywhere in Las Vagas

Dancergirl Sun 19-Jun-11 19:29:18

Thanks all - really fancy Barcelona now!

ThePathanKhansWoman Sun 19-Jun-11 19:32:42

Anywhere.

Not very helpful, sorry, weekend in my own bed would be heaven.

Hope you have a very lovely time.

clottedcream Mon 20-Jun-11 10:34:39

Stapleford Park Leicester

Portofino Mon 20-Jun-11 19:34:22

Barcelona is wonderful. Or New York - but that would be freezing in January.

zanz1bar Mon 20-Jun-11 21:13:22

Barcelona, a whole weekend of tapas bar hopping.
We went in early January 2years ago. The three kings festival was on, came upon it by accident, so magical. But it was a Spanish bank holiday so all shops shut, dh was in heaven, no shopping.
Walk along the beach with soft warm spring like breeze in January, heaven. Then lunch sitting outside in a t shirt, bliss.
Wander around the fantastic old quarter, and gorge yourself on tapas or seafood.

Asinine Mon 20-Jun-11 21:15:19

Bed, with wine, book, radio, chocolate, champagne and dh

sunnyday123 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:19:20

rome without doubt - i loved new york but its was nothing compared to rome - fantastic place plus easyjet fly there now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now