Talk

Advanced search

Thomson/First Choice own single trip insurance - Mondial

(5 Posts)
ohsolonely Mon 06-Jun-11 19:26:57

I have just booked a last(ish) minute holiday to Majorca with some friends. Leaving hubby and the kids at home for a week.

Anyway, the 2 others I am travelling with already have their travel insurance with their bank accounts/annual policies etc.

I took out the bog standard Mondial insurance offered to me by the Thomson Travel agent who booked our First Choice Holiday.

Today the tickets have arrived and Thomson have enclosed a form for me to complete with all of my insurance details on for them to keep on my behalf so they have the full details should I need them in an emergency whilst away.

It is only now that I realise I do NOT have Insurance policy documents or even a policy number. What I do HAVE is the Mondial Travel insurance leaflet and along the bottom is my holiday booking reference number (written on by hand in the relevant box) - the same booking reference number as for actual holiday. I have no insurance certificate.

Is this normal these days? Its been years since I have travelled with Travel Agents own insurance. Anyone got experience of Thomson/First Choice own Insurance? Did you get actual policy Documents with your name on and a policy number or just the holiday booking reference like I have?

Also, in with the tickets etc is another note stipulating that upon arrival in resort we need to produce our insurance details in the form of a certificate, failiure to do so, could incur local charges is what it says. I have no certificate. Do I just produce the leaflet when asked?

I know Travel Insurance is essential these days but even so, what are your recent experiences of arrival in resort with regards to producing your Insurance Certificates?

Obviously, I will call my Travel Agent tomorrow but just wondered what other people have experienced with Thomson and First Choice recently. I used to travel short haul loads but not done so for a good few years now, so all this is new to me.

Hope someone can help.

Putthatbookdown Mon 06-Jun-11 19:31:19

I would not take out insurance with a travel firm as it is usually more expensive.

mosschops30 Mon 06-Jun-11 19:31:21

You dont have to provide an insurance cert in resort, some people choose not to have insurance, so what would they do?
check with thomson, if youre not insured o on money supermarket and book yoyre own, bout £8 single trip for a week.
And you will need your european health card, ours came in handy in majorca and we used the local hospital free of charge

ohsolonely Mon 06-Jun-11 19:48:24

I paid £12 at the time of booking. She offered it to me at £20 odd to start with & initiallyI refused, she lept offewring it to me at a cheaper price and I ended up paying £12 because to be honest am so maxed out with stuff atm I just could not be arsed to shop around.

£12 for a week seems a fair price to me and although I probably could have got it cheaper I dont feel ripped off.

The insurance is on my holiday breakdown so I should be covered but best to call them tomorrow and check.

I have my Ehic card so thats one thing.

Putthatbookdown Tue 07-Jun-11 07:41:24

You know it is still handy to have private med insurance even with your European card - we were v glad we did once as it covers repatriation costs and we were v sick. These things are thankfully rare but boy were we glad we had it- always take it now_probably never happen again of course

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now